My cat doesn't want to play anymore after I brought a new cat home

haejh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, 

I have a question about my resident cat's behavior. The resident cat is a neutered, about 3 years old, very playful and active cat. I used to play with him 1-2 hours each day but he no longer shows interests in playing since I brought a new cat. He doesn't show interests in new toys or his favorite toys anymore. Other than that, he is fine. In fact, he had his annual check up two weeks ago and his health was fine. I am not sure if he is upset and angry at me because I brought a new cat or just too stressed. 

It's been about 3 and a half weeks since the new cat came. The new cat is a spayed female, about 1.5 years old, timid and skittish but playful with me. I separated her in the bathroom for 10 days when she first came. During the 10 days, I swapped their beds and blankets, used socks to exchange their scents and also fed them by the bathroom door. And when she came out, it seemed like she and the resident cat were getting along okay. They would hiss at each other when they get too close to each other but there was no actual fighting between them. After two weeks the new cat came, they started to share little boxes, ate next to each other and also occasionally sniff each other. But there was no grooming or playing with each other.

Last week, I started noticing my resident cat trying to ambush and chase the new cat, which then would turn in to a small spat. I gave them time out whenever swatting/spat would occur but now the new cat is frightened by the resident cat that she gets all defensive when she sees the resident cat. The funny thing is now the resident cat seems like he has lost interests in the new cat and simply ignores her and just walks away. And he stopped playing with me :(

another thing is my resident cat's favorite spot used to be my bed. And he would sleep next to me at night. But since the new cat came, the new cat sleeps with me and the resident cat just sleeps on the floor in the living room. And when I am patting the new cat, the resident cat would come and just stare at the new cat until she walks away. 

Is my resident cat bullying the new cat? Is he feeling jealous toward the new cat? I know it has been only about 4 weeks and it could take more time for them to really get used to each other. But I am a little baffled by their behaviors..And I don't want my resident cat to feel betrayed or abandoned by me because of the new cat.  I am not sure if I can leave them to "sort" their problems out by themselves and what they need is a little bit more time or if they need re-introduction. 

Anyone who has multiple cats experienced similar behavior before when you guys brought a new cat into your house?

Thanks,

if i fit i sit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your resident cat seems to be definitely jealous of the new kitty. 

i think he is feeling betrayed, since the new cat has taken over his sleeping spot which is close to you, so maybe if you can give the resident cat his place back, things would get better. 

i read it may take 6 to 8 weeks or more  for things to straighten up and for them to get used to each other. 

if i fit i sit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some stuff that might help: 
  • First, feed them in opposite parts of the house. Slowly bring their food closer together, until they get used to eating side by side.
  • Maintain separate litter boxes for the cats. Make sure each cat has his own litter box at first. As they spend more time together, you will be able to get them to share a litter box.
  • Make sure that the cats' time together is a happy time. When the cats are together, you should feed them, give them treats, play with them, and give them lots of love and attention. They should associate their time together as a fun and pleasant time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haejh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I think you are right on that my resident cat is jealous of the new cat. I will try your tips and see if that helps the problem.

Cat-mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I think you are right on that my resident cat is jealous of the new cat. I will try your tips and see if that helps the problem.
I am having the same problem as you with some differences. My two cats (resident: 1year-old, spayed female and new: 3.5-month-old un-neutered male) do play with, and lick each other; they eat from the same bowl, and use the same litter boxes (we do have two litter boxes but they just use both.
New cat came in 3.5 weeks ago, we did the introduction and all that, and now my resident cat is somewhat withdrawn, and is not exactly interested in playing. She did not eeat much initially, and did not want to even be cuddled, but that seem to have improved. Now I am noticing some personality shift, and was wondering if you found a good solution and how things are progressing.