my cat doesn't like my room or the cat shelves!

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a maine coon american shorthair mix (great hunter) and he's almost 3 yrs. old, but he is not very social and does not like my room he goes in my sisters room but not mine! he's an indoor/outdoor cat and i have no plans to make him indoor so don't go saying indoor cats live longer and are healthier blah blah blah. and he doesn't like the shelves i have in my room im planning on adding more though... so is it possible to make him like my room more and not there's and to be a cat that is more outgoing and willing to jump up on the shelves. HELP!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may be a bush dweller rather than a tree dweller.  Some cats like to stay low and hide under things, others like to be high up.  It seems to be set even from kittenhood.  You could try some carpet sprayed with essence of catnip on your shelves. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

He may be a bush dweller rather than a tree dweller.  Some cats like to stay low and hide under things, others like to be high up.  It seems to be set even from kittenhood.  You could try some carpet sprayed with essence of catnip on your shelves. 
i'll look into it :).

Gianna.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i have no plans to make him indoor so don't go saying indoor cats live longer and are healthier blah blah blah. 
That's not a very appropriate attitude when asking for help.

Your cat doesn't like your room for a reason. Perhaps it's the noise. Or lack of hiding spaces. Or too much floor space. You can't just "make" the cat go into your room without first understanding why.

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That's not a very appropriate attitude when asking for help.

Your cat doesn't like your room for a reason. Perhaps it's the noise. Or lack of hiding spaces. Or too much floor space. You can't just "make" the cat go into your room without first understanding why.
about the attitude i thought about doing it nicer but had already typed it in so didn't feel like undoing so sorry about that i'm quite lazy if i say so myself.

i do turn on the fan sometimes but turn it off when he's in the room. and i have plenty of hiding spaces. and i have a small room.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a maine coon american shorthair mix (great hunter) and he's almost 3 yrs. old, but he is not very social and does not like my room he goes in my sisters room but not mine! he's an indoor/outdoor cat and i have no plans to make him indoor so don't go saying indoor cats live longer and are healthier blah blah blah. and he doesn't like the shelves i have in my room im planning on adding more though... so is it possible to make him like my room more and not there's and to be a cat that is more outgoing and willing to jump up on the shelves. HELP!
have you tried leaving a treat trail leading into your room? it doesn't have to be treats, it could be pieces of dry cat food. you could make a treat trail that leads into your room, to a dish of dry cat food and a bowl of fresh water next to it. if kitty starts visiting your room, keep a dish of fresh water and a dish with some dry cat food in there for him. that way when he does visit your room, he'll have the dry food and water as incentive to come back there. after kitty starts visiting your room, then you could try putting pieces of dry cat food on the shelves sometimes for him -- make a trail to it. this might be worth trying.

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

have you tried leaving a treat trail leading into your room? it doesn't have to be treats, it could be pieces of dry cat food. you could make a treat trail that leads into your room, to a dish of dry cat food and a bowl of fresh water next to it. if kitty starts visiting your room, keep a dish of fresh water and a dish with some dry cat food in there for him. that way when he does visit your room, he'll have the dry food and water as incentive to come back there. after kitty starts visiting your room, then you could try putting pieces of dry cat food on the shelves sometimes for him -- make a trail to it. this might be worth trying.
i already did that i have food and water sitting in there he just won't go in.