My cat does not meow, has almost no voice?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the meow is so very high-pitched that human ears cannot hear it but other cats and animals can. Usually its like the open their mouth to meow and nothing comes out, but they do meow, we just cannot hear it.

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I got my two cats a big white cat that was part ragdoll used to come and live with us on occasion (sort of moved in, he was a neighbours cat but decided to retire to my house in his old age).  He had a "silent meow", he'd open his mouth but barely anything or nothing would come from the moth.  At least, he did have a silent meow until someone brought out a bag of Dreamies or opened a packet of Turkey Ham and THEN he knew how to meow.  Used to crack us up. I miss that cat immensely.

ghosts mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg, my 5 month old kitten Ghost has mewd 1 time, now mouths the words. Eas gonna get him to do it and play a recording of his sissy MayMay and video it like a cheap kung foo movie. I love him, my cat-mate for life.

silkym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's a trait like seal points or green eyes.  Some meow really loud and constantly--think Siamese or Abyssinian--very vocal breeds.  Others are pretty soft-spoken.  Our new kitten doesn't have a very loud meow unless his tail gets stepped on.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old kitty Megan was an odd meower too. She would leave out the "me" part. or she would open her mouth and nothing would come out. It was so cute.

One of our cats now, Morgan, doesn't really meow. She coos like a bird! Its like: "mwrrrrr"... When she's playing or running about, she will make cooing sounds. Or when she wants my door open, I'll hear her. She sounds so sad, but looks happy when she does it. (Unless you look at her eyes...they are round! Her eyes always look sad because of this. Her nick-name is "Button-eyes")

Sometimes when she's looking for Dash (Our other cat. They love playing together.) she'll make that sound. It is odd.
My blighty has round eyes as well. So sweet.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is 1 1/2. I found him and raised him from about 3-4 weeks old. He has been around an older female cat(not related) all his life that is very vocal so its not like he just was not around other cats and never learned/heard what a cat sounds like. He makes quiet gaspy/raspy sounds once in while but no meows or other normal sounds. He did some meows and hisses when a baby but that was it. He is healthy and been to vet. Shot, neuter etc. Just did not ask about the no voice thing. Does anyone haave a cat that is like this or heard about this sort of thiing before? Thanks.
I don't know if this is comparable, but our house has six cats and the runt of the litter, Princess, doesn't meow either. Sometimes she chirps like a bird and sometimes she makes a noise like a rusty bicycle chain, but the only normal cat noises she makes are purring and hissing. We highly suspect, although there is no way to prove it (that we can afford) that Princess's father was a Siamese cat. Could your cat be like that? Maybe it's a Siamese trait? I'm just making jabs in the dark here--up until last year we'd never had cats.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued 2 kittens about 2 weeks old and hand reared them at about 6 weeks I put them with an older Siamese kitten who showed them all the normal cat things as kittens they were very affectionette but as time went on they became distant and won't allow you to touch them the vet thinks their hearing is not good and they also don't meow they are now nearly 12 months old and as beautiful as they are they just don't like people. I have a beagle cross who just loves them and vice versa and the only time they purr is with the dog I am really saddened by this behaviour as I would just love to give them a cuddle
I have the same problem with my two. Very not affectionate. They demand things like blighty demands to be stroked but he doesn't reciprocate! Whisky also meows when he wants something but also is not very affectionate. I'm used to lap cats so this upsets me a lot.

artgodess40

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I  am also curious  I have a White Male named "Fitz", he is 3 years old, and has NEVER meowed. He has a loving purr I had his hearing tested due to the fact that 67% over half White cats are deaf. Came back s hearing is fine and is among 4 other Felines that are vocal!

ddestes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old female that makes an mmmm sound instead of a meow, she's just a quiet little thing, however she can meow when she's serious about something. Fun how kitties can be so different!

jimkonicke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 1/2 siameise and 1/2 calico female cat is about 8 months old and has never meowed once! Not even on the way to the vet...in the car....locked in her room too long....ever! she growels and purrs,just never meows. perhaps she is just that nature.

forestdweller46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 69th birthday kitten was the runt of a litter caused by the irresponsible behavior of people who did not "fix" their pets. My oldest daughter surprised me with a 12 week-old rescue kitty who barely filled the palm of my hand. I was literally shaking as I took the kitten from the carrier and placed him in the litter box at the bottom of the basement stairs. That was the only possible place for the litter box in my home, and I was not sure he was strong enough to climb up and down the stairs. The little mite sniffed the litter, peed, scratched, and hopped up the stairs toward my lap.     Joy.

I found this site because I've known many felines over the years, but none who did not meow. From your posts I've deduced that since I have immediately  filled my kitten's every need, he does not need to meow to express his wishes. He sits in the kitchen in front of his feeding dishes and gives a pathetic wide silent MEOW, but no more. The warm microwaved Friskies pate is served promptly at 5:45 am. I am trying mightily to keep him from getting me out from under the covers any earlier. His overnight dish of dry Meow Mix just does not seem to quite do the trick.

Catpucinno is a classic [butterfly] silver tabby...looks like black coffee drizzled with cream...and when the barista approached with the cinnamon sifter he ducked and only got sprinkled on his head and cheeks. At  6 months he is still way under 6 pounds, all bones covered with fur. He has 2 speeds, NASCAR  and full stop snore. And only one direction..UP!! UP!! MORE UP!!

Although Catpucinno does not meow, he DOES purr...constantly...Stalking through the house, PURR...chasing his toys, PURR...laying in my lap, PURR...lounging atop his cat tree, PURR...He even purrs when he is asleep. Mentioning this to my 3 cat-parent daughters met with doubt, until my middle daughter caught her cat purring in her sleep last week !!     

Another weird thing Catpucinno does, is "CHIRP"  while he purrs. Two different things. When he is totally fed to repletion, laying in my lap, clutching his favorite "flat-rat", having his fur rubbed backwards. not only does he purr, but he actually "chirps"like a bird while purring.

Catpucinno also does the Purr-chirp thing while , starting at my toes, creeps under my night blanket towards my back. Just beyond my knees , he dissolves into a puddle of Purr\chirp\snore...

For those who are sad because their cats are not cuddly...if you have 2-3 other cats, a dog, a rabbit, why on earth should your furred friend turn to you for companionship? The best way for  a bond between a human and a feline is for it to be the only bond. Even if you get 2 cats so they will not be lonely while you are at work, the cats will bond with each other and not so much with the human. There is of course a good chance for a great rapport if the human works on the connection.

nancy breznay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I have a cat who does not meow or purr.  I adopted Cupcake from the Santa Fe Animal Shelter six months ago.  She looks like half snowshoe and half angora cat.  Cupcake will make little squeaking sounds right before I feed her.  She will also trill.  Her squeaking sounds like you are cleaning glass with Windex!!  At first I found this behavior to be strange; but she is a good cat.

forestdweller46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, Nancy, sounds like your kitty is a real cute furball.

My Catpucinno finally began to verbalize at 9 months, with a little "yowl" at the bathroom door, where he is not allowed to enter. Why do cats get frantic when their parents shut the bathroom door?? It's not like a shower lasts THAT long!!

Catpucinno has also started to do a "Puuurrp!" to echo the "follow me-let's play" cry of the 3 month old alley cat rescue kitten that my oldest daughter brings over for an occasional "play date". They wear each other OUT!!.

Last edited by a moderator:

alima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My youngest only makes little 'meh' noises or crying noises in the night but so faint they are hard to be heard.
The vet said last week that is the way they have always known him to be, he is new to me so we are both learning.
I'm wanting to ask things about him on here but unsure how to set up a new post to ask those things?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My youngest only makes little 'meh' noises or crying noises in the night but so faint they are hard to be heard.
The vet said last week that is the way they have always known him to be, he is new to me so we are both learning.
I'm wanting to ask things about him on here but unsure how to set up a new post to ask those things?
Hi there and welcome!! 

Cats are all different when it comes to vocalization. My Lilith is a Persian and she is VERY vocal. She meows, chirps, trills and sometimes it sounds like she is talking. She sounds like a toddler girl saying, "hello?" "Mama?" She loves to snuggle in the bed with me and if I get up while she is still sleeping, she will call for me when she wakes. 

Sophie is her sister. She does not make much noise at all. Most of her noises are "ACK". She will squawk at me if she isn't happy but she WILL meow to try to manipulate us. She started doing this recently. She wants in my DD's room bad but they are not allowed in there because they will not stay away from the computer tower. The other day, Sophie sat in the hall outside DD's room and I heard the most plaintive cry you could imagine. I went to check to see who it was and immediately got the stink eye. I foiled her plan to lure DD to open the door so she could sneak in. DD's bathroom is next to her room. She also went in there and cried to get DD to open the door. She's a crafty little one. 

Henry's my boy. He is the strong, silent type. He CAN make noise, he just chooses not to. He doesn't meow either. The noise he makes is hard to describe. it's more like a baby's whine but much softer. He's a true gentleman. 

Starting a new thread is easy. Are your questions health related? If so, you'd go here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/4/cat-health   If you look at the top left, you will see a blue link that says START A NEW THREAD. It is in this place on all forums

Are the questions nutrition related? If so, go here: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/64/cat-nutrition

Please feel free to start a thread introducing yourself and him here: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block   Please feel free to post lots of pictures. The more the better!! 

Last edited:

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two are siblings and one only meows, and barely meows at that, at dinner time and when she's unhappy. Otherwise she occasionally trills or chirrups. At first she didn't make a sound.

Her brother on the other hand, he's got a siamese meow get loud, varied and used with great enthusiasm. He likes the sound of his own voice. A lot.

I wouldn't worry about yours. We once had a cat who didn't meow (again, his brother spoke for both of them and then some) until he went deaf.

steph1973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat NEVER meowed. For awhile we thought he was mute until we realised that he makes a crying sound when he thinks he is alone, or when one of us leave the house.
Since we discoverd this every now and again he will meow but it literally lasts for 5 seconds and that's that for about three months.
We also realised he is definitely not mute after a visit to the vet, he just wouldn't stop hissing at a dog in there.
We love the cat, he loves us and that's all that matters. He certainly communicates when he wants a cuddle or wants to play....he's brilliant atime hide and seek!!!

ali franklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is very much the same. She opens like she is meowing but only gets a quiet squeak out at best. It could be linked to abandonment, I adopted mine young from a shelter. =^-^=