My cat died unexpectidly.

mlmcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for both of you! All my cats are strictly indoors, but I can well imagine the grief of losing one to a car. One of my "original" kitties died of kidney cancer -- he hid his symptoms until it was too late to do anything but make sure he didn't suffer anymore.
It's so hard to lose the furry members of our families! My heart goes out to both of you.

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to swim upstream here and say that yes cats do understand death and if it is possible you should let Mikey's litter mate see and smell Mikey's body. He will greive but will not go hunting for him and will recover from the loss more quickly I believe. The decision however is yours to make though I believe it would be the way to go. I don't think the vets office is the place to do it and if possible do it before the necropsy. This is onlu my opinion and I am not a professional but it has been the way In have dealt with it whenever possible...I am sorry for your loss and hope this may help you. If you have a place to bury him bring him home and do it. It will help all of you to deal with it. Howard.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy

I am going to swim upstream here and say that yes cats do understand death and if it is possible you should let Mikey's litter mate see and smell Mikey's body. He will greive but will not go hunting for him and will recover from the loss more quickly I believe. The decision however is yours to make though I believe it would be the way to go. I don't think the vets office is the place to do it and if possible do it before the necropsy. This is onlu my opinion and I am not a professional but it has been the way In have dealt with it whenever possible...I am sorry for your loss and hope this may help you. If you have a place to bury him bring him home and do it. It will help all of you to deal with it. Howard.
What a beautiful thing to offer.
I couldn't agree more, although some would raise an eyebrow, it's a very personal choice. But first and foremost, I am so so so very sorry for your unexpected loss. It must be a huge hole in your heart. You are a caring, compassionate, wonderful owner to even think about ways to alleviate your other one's pain and sense of loss. Be good to yourself, your own spirit, too. Mikey will be there, just over your shoulder, whether you know it or not.

Love,
Elizabeth
(RIP Freddie 11/9/03 and SiSi, never forgotten 2003
)