My Cat Died Alone

ekempb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet boy, who had cancer and was 17 years old, died sometime during the night. I had arranged to have him put to sleep, but he died trying to jump up on the kitchen table, his spot. He must have been too weak to make it, his claws were stuck in the fabric of my kitchen chair and he died while trying to climb up. He died all alone. My sweet boy died like that, without me.

Mashkasheli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so terribly terribly sorry for your sad, devastating loss. How agonizing for you. I hope that you can a least take comfort in that he is not suffering anymore. My heart goes out to you. I am thinking of you and you are not alone.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Furred Friend, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry you lost your baby, and even more sorry that you could not have been there. Could not have been there. Remember that. Had you known, you would have been. You know that, he knew that. Hugs, across the miles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ekempb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Furred Friend, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry you lost your baby, and even more sorry that you could not have been there. Could not have been there. Remember that. Had you known, you would have been. You know that, he knew that. Hugs, across the miles.
Thank you,

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweet boy, who had cancer and was 17 years old, died sometime during the night. I had arranged to have him put to sleep, but he died trying to jump up on the kitchen table, his spot. He must have been too weak to make it, his claws were stuck in the fabric of my kitchen chair and he died while trying to climb up. He died all alone. My sweet boy died like that, without me.
I'm so sorry to read this story.
I understand how painful it must be for you, knowing that you weren't there to help him, but you haven't any fault, you took care of him till the last minute and the proof of this is that you had already arranged to put an end to his sufferings.
There is nothing I can do to relieve your pain and sense of guilt, but please know that you and your kitty are in my thoughts. One day we all will meet our furry friends, all of our pains will vanish in a blink of an eye, we will be able to pet them again and we'll find out that they have never stopped loving us and will have forgiven all our errors.
Hugs!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having just lost my own sweet boy at seventeen to cancer, I know the pain of losing one so near to our hearts. I watched him get weaker and weaker, he too, missed on his jumps and broke my heart. I want you to know I prayed for him to die in his sleep, to pass away at home with those he loved peacefully and unknowing. He passed in our arms, but not peacefully..... your boy passed suddenly, trying to get to a place he loved and felt safe. He was not alone, your love and concern surrounded him and cared for him with every breath he took, and he knew that. He died at home doing what he knew best, surrounded by your love. It was under his terms, and that is how he wanted it. That he became entangled was a accident, there was no way you could have predicted it would happen, or even really prevented it, you cannot hold guilt over something you could not predict.
It is over now, the suffering is done. I know how impossible it is at first, but try not to dwell on a sad end, when you have seventeen years of precious memories and happiness to fill your grieving heart. The bond you have with him is eternal because it is of spiritual love. Death cannot take it from you, he will be near you for the rest of your life, bonded to your very soul. They take a little of our heart when they leave us, it is painful and reminds us of what we lost. But they leave a little piece of their heart too, to remind us of their love and give comfort in these early days of sadness. Celebrate that you had him in your life for seventeen years, to have him that long shows how strong the love you had for each other was, how good the care, how wonderful the home. How wonderful the fate to have him in your life for all those years. To have never known him at all would be unthinkable.
He is near, talk to him, tell him you love him and he will do the same. Have faith that the path he follows now will always parallel your own, until the day it crosses once more. He would be the last one to want to see you so sad because of him, he loves you too much. He wants only happiness and sunshine in your life and future, just as you would want for him if your were the first to go.
Please know we are here for you as you undertake that long journey of grief. We understand the pain you are going through because we have followed that same path.Use the strength of our numbers to take some of your burden, we will happily share your pain, it lessens it for us all. Take care.....RIP beloved sweet boy. You will never be forgotten and will have a secure place forever in a loving heart. Please send what comfort you can to a grieving heart that misses you so dearly, let your sweet love fill the empty void taht your leaving created. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing your precious boy. I understand your guilt feelings - most of us have them no matter what the circumstances. I know that you would have been there for his last breaths if at all possible - be assured that your cat knows this to. And it may be that the effort of jumping was too much for his weakened body and his heart suddenly stopped. He is safe now, no longer in any pain or discomfort. You gave him 17 years -Seventeen! - so you are to be congratulated on the good care and love that you gave him. He rests in a better place. But for you, dear heart, there is now the void in your everyday life - all the little moments of love and companionship that you shared (seeing him napping comfortably in his favorite spot, the satisfaction of his watching your every move, calling his name and hearing his little chirp in response, these and a thousand other little precious moments), all the myriad of things for which you must grieve. There is nothing I can say or do to ease your grief but I can assure you that you are truly not alone in this. We here understand every stab of agony, every stomach-churning bit of sorrow, the pain contained in every burning tear - yes, we know, first hand, and yes, we CARE, and we are HERE, both in the forums and by Private Message. :catrub:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your boy crossed like all wild animal does: doing what he was born to do- to climb.

That way of passing is a mark of honor and whether you were there or not, makes little difference in the kingdom of living creatures when such a honorable thing does happen.

Milk drops and remember memories last for ever, while creatures do have an End which pairs the Begining.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In his mind I dont think he would have felt alone. He would have known you were home.

He would have felt far less stress passing in his familiar home, than on a cold sterile table in a strange and terrifying place. I have heard that its natural for a pet to avoid the company of others when they feel the time is near. In his mind, he may not have wanted company at that time.

Many of us have been where you are now. The days will get better.

Strangely I have found the more cats we have had over the years, the more I appreciate the cats I have in my life now.

Its almost like the passing of each cat, has made my love stronger for the ones i have today.

I dont think the love dies....it seems to become even stronger and more special, to be shared with your next companion.

Perhaps this is because loss reminds us of the fragility of life, we are not permanent and good times do not last forever.

Better days ahead.

Grieve, be patient and treat yourself well.

crazycatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for you and your kitty. I hope your pain can subside and you can remember all the good times you had with him.
I'm just looking at my boy on camera, while I sit at work. He is 19 and he's had lymphoma for 1.5 years now. He is at the end of his road so I know what you are going through.