My cat cricket

anne1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Cricket is a 1/12 year old muted calico cat has that has a runny eye and was wondering if that is normal.

I had cats before but none of them had any runny eyes. She also sometimes has one eye half shut, the other eye is open there is at times it even looks sore. If possible could someone help me please.

Anne1

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Terramycin is liquid gold :)

Inexpensive and awesome.

Put a ribbon across her eye 2x a day, and watch how fast this problem disappears.

Mild infected/runny eye is common and easily cured.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weepy eyes are not normal, neither is shutting them a lot of the time or sore looking eyes.  I would take her to the vets if she was mine.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might have airborne allergens or she might've scratched it.  I'd take her to the vet to be checked out.  Sometimes, adding l-lysine to the food will help the weepiness.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The possibilities run from negligible to severe.  The first guess would be a "cold," or Upper Respiratory infection.  Next would be a Feline Herpes infection.  Injury or damage to the eye is up there near the top.

The first two are easily treated by a vet, and the the third one, the vet can minimize damage.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also want to add that even if you think it's an infection and you can somehow get a hold of antibiotic eye drops without going to the vet, only a vet can rule out an injured eye, and using those drops on an injured eye will be damaging. I know this from personal experience; my cat Kramer had an eye infection in September, and the vet had to stain it first to make sure he hadn't injured it while playing with Boots.

Please take your baby to the vet. :vibes:

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inky has an eye infection.  She is going back Friday morning as she started sneezing as well.  I think she has herpes.  When I took her in last month they did stain her eye twice to rule out an injury but it was quite inflamed. She was and I put her back on her antibiotic drops and her steroid drops.  Which she really hates.  I wipe all the goop off her eyes 2-3 times day.

I would take her in as this doesn't go away by itself.

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the others, take her in to your vet to rule out any virus or infection. Hoping it is nothing serious.