My cat chewing when see food without eating

basem ayoub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

Before 10 days my male cat had a neutering surgery and since that he refuses to eat. he is 7 year old. i went back to the vet and he said that he is OK but he just hungry when he see his food dish he start to move his mouth like he is chewing but he refuses to eat. i'm giving him multi vitamins, milk and some food with syringe. I don't know what to do more any advise or idea?

Forgive my weak English!! thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to be examined by the vet again.  Take him to a different vet if you can.  Let them know it's been a week and he's refusing to eat by himself.  He must eat or he will have other problems.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he licking his lips when he sees his food?  If so, that is a sign of nausea.  Don't know why that would be related to his neutering, but the timing does seem to fit.  That's usually an easy surgery though, I don't really see a connection, but still...

Yes, I would see if there is another Vet to see, because not eating can lead to SERIOUS implications.  Good that you are syringe feeding, but you need to make sure he is getting enough...almost his normal food allowance. 

BTW, please don't feed him cow's milk.  Goat's milk is ok, or Kitten Replacement Milk that you find in the stores to give motherless kittens is ok. Most adult cat's are lactose intolerant, so cow's milk isn't really good for them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basem ayoub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies, I take him today to another vet and he told me it's strange that he is not eating and he is in a good health. Yes he is licking his lips everytime i try to give him food he just move his mouth like he is eating and after that he refuse to eat. I don't know what to do more and here in Kuwait there are leak in vets and there is only one hospital but very expensive maybe will cost me around 2000$ and if I'm sure he will be ok I will take him there but the problem most of the ppl went there they said they are bad and most of the pits goes there die. If he has nausea what kind of medicine i can give him? Thank you in advance

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For nausea you can  Using Slippery Elm Bark since the 2nd Vet didn't give you any prescription anti-emetic.  With the Slippery Elm Bark, you can make a syrup out of it, or I just take about 1/4 teaspoon of it and mix it in about 1 teaspoon or 2 of water until it thickens.  Then i mix it into stinky wet food.  Since you're syringe feeding him, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it into him just with the syringe without any food, which is actually best.  If you want to make the syrup, here's a thread on that:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/307889/slippey-elm-bark-help

If that doesn't help within a few days, TRY Pepcid A/C.  MUST be A/C.   1/4 tablet up to twice a day..  It's bitter though, so may be hard to give it to him.

Anything else I can think of is prescription, which you'd need to get from your Vet. 

Is he plenty hydrated?  Dehydration can cause nausea, so when you are syringe feeding him, try to get some extra water in him as well