My cat changed over a night, help!

tamros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm having a rather scary Halloween this year, thanks to my cat. :( He'll turn 2 years in February and up till now he was the sweetest, most loving and affectionate cat I've ever seen, very easy going. Yesterday he was sitting on my lap and suddenly totally freaked out, jumped away from me and since then he's super scared of literally everything and everyone. He backs away every time I try to approach him, jumps and does all sorts of flip-flops out of nowhere. Also he moves slowly and seems to be very tense. Other than that he eats, goes to his litter box, no itching,scratching overall seems ok.

I tried to take him to the vets today, but when I was ready to leave he had the panic attack again, I was really scared for him as it looked like some sort of exorcism, the moves he was making.

I talked to the vets and right now they couldn't advise me on anything, just to give him some relaxing pill which I did.  I'm thinking of ways to somehow make it to the vets, not sure if they'll be able to examine him in this condition tho. 

Do you have any suggestions what can I do for the time being, to make him less stressed and calm him down? Have you ever experienced the same behaviors from you cats? please help.

Here is my sweet boy (he's fixed)

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One time a few months after I got my male from the shelter, he totally flipped out. I have no idea why or what the reasoning was. We were all in the family room & he was running all over the place, jumping from couch to couch, hissing, meowing, I thought he was having like a seizure or something, I've never experienced that in my life. I think I googled my situation & read about Feliway. I immediately went to the pet store & bought a bottle. I came home & sprayed it in the room where he was, he was laying on the carpet under one of my sofas, I sprayed it on the carpet all around the room, it stinks by the way. After about 15 min he was totally back to normal. I have no idea what the deal with him was, but I was glad he acted normal again! He got everyone so wound up, it was not fun.

You can spray that stuff in the carrier like 15 min before you go to the vet, I actually tried this on my last cat I took & the only difference was, she was meowing less than normal. So that is an option. They also make Rescue Remedy for pets, I don't know if the health food store sells it or the pet store, call around first. But that stuff works great for humans! I can attest because I'm an anxiety nightmare. So that is another option.

Your boy is so pretty, is he part Abby?

marrin713

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ghosts or paranormal activity? Over the years every cat that has lived in this house has done some weird stuff. Mostly it's been trying to climb a wall and stare at something we can't see. My husband's Xwife who lived in this house always said the place was "not right."

mel0523

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds to me like a medical issue, like he's in serious pain. I agree that you should get some Feliway. It comes in sprays, wall plug-ins, and collars for a very direct effect. I have also been told by vets to give my cat Benadryl when he's stressed, a VERY small amount. It did not work for me because it upset my cat's stomach, but I've heard that it can do a good job of calming them. It's something to consider, although maybe not a great option to have him ingest something if he's going to the vet. I definitely think a vet visit is in your future, though.