My cat can't meow

jacklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 4 month old male kitten, he is usually very vocal, a few days ago I had him out for a walk, (yes on a leash and he walks, I don't pull him) he loves outside. He's still very energetic, eating, drinking and going to the bathroom, but over that last few days his voice has been cracky and yesterday he lost his voice completely. I'm wondering what I should do, I called the vet and to get him in and get him checked it will be around $150. But he's fine other than his voice?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am not an expert, but I am on a budget... so as long as he feels good, potties normally and eats and drinks, I think it will be okay to wait and see how he does.  Maybe he has a little seasonal sinus drainage?

As a side note and something to consider, we never got on the pet insurance with our old cat because it was as higher than what we paid to have their annual checkups and shots and stuff and they NEVER got sick.  Once they get sick though, pet care is EXPENSIVE... even when our cat was dying and we just wanted comfort care, the vet still wanted to do all the labs all the time... its not like she was going to get well.  On the one hand, I am glad he was thorough, but....  I feel your pain.  These days, I think the insurance is a little more affordable and we will be checking into with our cats one of these days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks for the advice! I really didn't want to take him if he's feeling good

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have 'strained' his voice by being too vocal, I agree with the above, as long as he eats and drinks, and they both come out, he should be OK. He could even have a kitty cold, look for any discharge from his nose or eyes. Give it a few days and if it isn't better then, call your vet and ask for advise. I would definitely encourage him to drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah my boyfriend thinks he could have strained his voice as well, and there's no discharge that I can see, yesterday his nose was a bit runny but it's dry today, I'll just keep an eye on him for now