My Cat Can Squeeze Out Of This Gate, Does Anyone Have Suggestions?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
063FD4D4-55FE-4CBF-8388-F7FF8FD2297A.jpeg
My cat can squeeze out of our gate that leads to the downstairs, I’ll try and attach a video. But the bars must be too far apart, they’re 2 1/2 inches apart. She’s a fully grown cat at 8 pounds. And apparently that’s all she needs to squeeze though. I could put wire on the whole thing but then she will probably scale the gate. So does anyone have any suggestions? Either a gate that has narrower areas between bars or one that is like clear plastic or something. Or a way to modify my gate so she can’t escape. I want to avoid making the gate opaque because I want her to be able to see down the stairs.

Oh and it said the video was too large so unfortunately I cannot upload the video
:(

But here’s a picture of the gate, as you can see I modified the side I thought she was escaping out of already because it was a little wider than all the other areas between the bars.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a glass or plastic store near you, have a piece of plexiglass cut to size with holes drilled for attachment. It would create a solid slippery surface that is also transparent.

However, your cat can likely jump over the gate and is just choosing to go through as the easier option. Judging by where the handrail is, I know of my three cats one could jump to the top and balance before going over. He'd have no problem whatsoever. My girl might have a problem the first few times but she'd probably get the hang of it. The middle child of my group would not be able to or would end up a tumbled mess at the bottom of the stairs trying; that child somehow was skipped when they were handing out grace, skills and balance.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
There is fairly thick black plastic mesh you can buy at a hardware or garden store with 1/4 inch holes. You just attach it with zip ties and there is no way she can go through it but she most certainly can climb it or jump over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only reason I believe she might not want to jump the gate is because it’s on top of the stairs so jumping over something like that might seem a little precarious for her because of the iffy landing she might make. The gate has been up for over a year and she only recently started escaping it. I might try The plexiglass thing though. That might be the best option. I know she probably could jump over it but she might deem it not super safe because it’s on top of the stairs???

Other than a gate I don’t know what my options are, because she isn’t allowed downstairs because my parents don’t want her there and there are various poisonous plants that she might eat.

And yeah she would definitely climb over any mesh I might put there

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could always try something like that but she might try to climb that too

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see what you mean. That would be quite a fall if she did climb it. Maybe she would be too scared to climb it though?

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would you be able to put a couple of ceiling hooks in above the gate and stretch something like mosquito net from the ceiling to the bottom of the gate?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm I might actually use the ceiling hooks idea if she ever starts jumping over the gate, because it might dissuade her from jumping over the gate. That’s a really handy idea! I’m actually headed to Lowe’s to get some plexiglass to see how that works.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2BD819C7-677A-4FC8-B32B-535B6A476388.jpeg
Here’s the final product. It doesn’t go all the way to the top but it’s tall enough that I know she won’t be squeezing through the gate anytime soon.

Though now I’m worried she will climb the zip ties over, and then realize that the jump from the top of the gate down isn’t too bad and then start jumping over the gate Ah such is life, then we will have to install a screen door. Or try hanging mesh from the ceiling.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks great! I don't think she'll try to climb it, but I guess you never know with cats. Let us know how it goes!