My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh... Calvin had another coughing fit! I just got back from 2 days away and I am hoping it was because he didn't get Lysine Saturday or Sunday... :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That could well do it.  He's back on it now, so give him a day or three, and see if it doesn't go away!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to bump him up to 500 mg a day... he has had 2 doses. He seems to have more spring in his step today!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that 500mg is a good daily 'maintenance' dose.  1000mg a day is used for short term treatment when showing signs of a flare-up.  If he's springy with 500mg a day then you could continue with that dose indefinitely.  It's great to hear of Calvin's improvement.  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He still has his open mouth purr but! The vet said it was fine so I'm not worried. No coughing fits (I am at work for 8 hours a day though! But none when I come home!) His head shaking has gone down, and so has his sneezing. He also seems to have even more energy! Fingers crossed :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds as if the open-mouthed purr is just part of what make him unique.  There isn't a cat alive who doesn't have some quirk or another.  SO happy the the coughing fits are gone, and if they were bad, he'd be doing them 24/7, and you would know.  AND his energy is up!  This is all VERY good news!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He also has an INCREDIBLY rumbly tummy in the mornings. It is CRAZY! so loud. I don't know why - It goes away after he eats... I guess he is very hungry?!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup.  And i know JUST how he feels!  A small bedtime snack might cut that out.  Maybe divide his supper into two servings, one at the normal time and one right before bed?

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! I was thinking of getting him a slow feeding bowl too - I also raised his food bowls so he wouldn't get a bad tummy! And... Update. He is still sneezing a bit. But no coughing fits! Fingers crossed!!!!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently put Dudley's bowl on a very low, cardboard box to raise it up to optimum-eating height.  One day, I plan to switch to a wee table that's more easy-on-the-eye than brown cardboard!  

There's been lots of talk on TCS about people's newly discovered raised cat bowl benefits.  It pleases me greatly that so many of us have cottoned on to this idea.  

I got him a treat weeblewobble toy too, so that it's more fun and time-consuming than just eating treats from a bowl or my hand.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really must find something to raise Hekitty's bowl on.  On which to raise Hekitty's bowl, for those of you who care about such things.  YES, I DANGLED IT!  My younger son would be all over me, saying, "MOM, you know better than this!  Bethy Lee (my grandmother) reared you better than this!"  SIGH...I gave birth to the grammar police.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nah ahaha! That made me laugh. I left Calvin for a 3 day weekend. I return home tomorrow! At least I know if he gets his cough back it's just because he needs his lysine! Sigh. Poor kitty. I feel so bad for him whenever I leave :( he is a mama's boy and loves to be held and cuddled!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...I feel bad when I leave Hekitty to go grocery shopping!  I've been unable to work for the last 4 years, and she has gotten used to me being at her beck and call.  I'm not sure which of us would be the most undone if I went away for an entire weekend!  I know your boy will be THRILLED to have you back again!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was so happy! Too funny. While I was gone he got "mad" and tore down all of my clothes off their hangers, took all the pillows off the couch and bed... guess he was doing some re-decorating!

Good news. No cough! :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The "no cough" is EXCELLENT! 

You know, he may not have been mad.  Even after washing, to an animal, our clothes still smell like us.  He may have been after your smell.  Next time, leave out an unwashed tee shirt or something like for him to snuggle into.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Random question: How do you tell if a cat has a swollen belly?

This could be just because I am... Crazy. lol. But I want to make sure that Calvin's ok! Is it normal for cats stomachs to stick out a bit? His stomach looks like the Number 3 "ideal" pic - which is great! but the only thing that concerns me is the indent of where the stomach is... His stomach seems to pouch out a bit like in the number 3 pic!

Does that even make sense?! Lol. I might just be crazy! But I'm so worried about FIP after researching it :/

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then again, some, like Hekitty (who is fast approaching #5), have primodial duffle bags!