My cat bites...ALOT

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hurrah! Misty is a good girl!

If she wakes up, she will likely go to walk around a bit, eat, drink water, uses the litter box, wash and may be ready for another round. Try to catch her before she starts to get antsy so you can control when she plays (when you are taking a break) and naps (when you are working).

You can set up her a kitty bed in the study if you haven't already. Great thing about having a cat nearby when you are at the desk is you can take a break by giving her the attention-when you chose to, not when she demands it-i.e. petting, brushing or just simply talking to her as she snoozes happily.

wendysue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have a biting kitten (4 months old). My past cats have also gone through bitting phases. I too have tried many of the responses. Some work, some haven't. What has worked for my current kitten is 20 minutes in solitary. A little isolation in a cat room (with litterbox, toys, food and water) works wonders in my case and the cat comes out calm and happy to see me. I don't scold him, but quietly place him in the room and ignore him for about 20 minutes. If he is naughty, he doesn't get my company. When he is good, he gets fun play, praise and lots of love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Misty has a cat bed by the computer. She's had it sine I got her. She has never once as much as sat in it. No, I take that back, she did pee in it her second day home. So I washed it and she never went towards
It again. She thinks she's a person. She naps on the couch or the bed depending on where I am(she never lets me out of her sight not even for a minute). So she sleeps on the couch while I'm on the computer. I'm off to the pet store now to replenish her food supply and loo for kitty toothpaste.

biscuitpixieuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little Pickle is a biter and a scratcher too. I know he is only playing but he really hurts, especially at night when I'm asleep. I tried all manner of things, staying completely still, clapping, a loud 'NO!', hissing, a tap on the nose but nothing worked. In the end I bought a tiny spray bottle from the supermarket (one of those travel sized ones) and filled it with water. Now when he does it he first gets a warning 'No!' and if he carries on he gets a quick spray (more like a mist) of water which makes him stop. After just a couple of times doing this, he has more or less stopped the biting/scratching. If he forgets himself, he gets the warning 'NO!' and tends to stop before the spray comes out. Usually just seeing the bottle will stop him now too. Mostly now though he just smacks my feet without his claws out (testing the water I guess!) and licks rather than bites which I find endearing. I thought it was cruel at first but it really was my last resort and it has worked well so I would recommend giving it a try, after all my boy still loves me!

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi.my chloe,6 month female tabby likes to bite on my toes to wake me up at 4 am.she pulls the covers away and bites,nibbles untill i get

out of bed but shes never drawn blood.then at times she licks my fingers like shes grromng me,starts chewing,gently and if i try to pull my hand away,

she bites,hard, but still not hard enough to draw blood.my 4 month old,male domestic,just got him,bites hard(no blood) every time he wants attention,

like when im on the computer or watching tv.I think,with my ones at least,its just a way of getting complete and undivided attention..I dont spray but a firm NO or STOP IT

seems to work.They stop immediatley and then im all loving to them.good luck and enjoy

ellceeorlc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is old but I am having almost an identical problem with my cat. She's older than most of the cats in this threat (she'll be 4 in June) and she only recently started biting my computer, my phone, my remote, my pack of cigarettes, literally anything within reach of her mouth, and the kick is she only does it when I'm already rubbing her. When I'm not rubbing her she walks around in circles whimpering constantly so the positive reinforcement is definitely in effect here, because I give in 9 times out of 10 to make her stop crying. But the minute I start rubbing her she begins biting and it's scaring me that she's gonna break her teeth. She bit my crystal ash tray this morning (thank god I had cleaned it out last night) and I swear it sounded like breaking glass. I will NOT use spray, or anything like that. She is a VERY nervous cat, she jumps as the slightest sound or disturbance, is afraid of certain rooms in the house (this is a 3 story house and she will only go into 3 of the 7 rooms in it), she has severe anxiety as well as separation anxiety and was previously on Valum for these issues, but was taken off of it when it made her sleep through meal times which eventually caused her to lose weight. She's now about 4 pounds (that's underweight for a 4 year old fixed female) but the doctor said she's just a skinny mommy, she is presently biting my closet door because I tried to ignore her crying instead of caving and rubbing her. Now she is asleep on my feet (she usually plops herself onto my feet or hands when she wants to be rubbed, since both will leave me with zero ability to get up and walk away. Someone, anyone really with any advice please respond. I'm afraid her teeth are in jeopardy and she has started to develop black spots on her gums, which are apparently common in orange tabby's but she has never had them before until she started this biting thing. I tend to over analyze everything with her and become a bit of a hypochondriac every time she so much as hiccups (I've had her since she was only days old. I've bottle fed her, pulled splinters from her paws and ears, watched her open her eyes for the very first time, and watched her sleep on my chest for months so she could be near my heartbeat) but this is becoming an issue and the vet hasn't returned a single on of my calls, having his receptionist tell me to just bring her in. I'm not going to pay $100 for him to tell me this is common. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!