My cat bites...ALOT

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here.

Ok so I have a cat (9 months old) who is constantly biting. Now shes not a mean cat at all. Shes the most affectionate cat Ive ever seen. She is snugly and cuddly, and has a personality like no other. She was a rescue. I adopted her when she was 4 months old. She was banged up, sick, and covered in fleas. But after some time she was cured and perfect. She always bit some, but its getting worse and worse. She doesn't do it maliciously, but more for attention. Every night since i got her she wakes me up multiple times a night by biting and pulling my hand. Its a small apartment, no way to get rid of her at night. She also does it whenever i am on the computer (she is doing it now). She hates when I'm on the computer so she attacks my feet. My hands and feet are all bitten up. She doesn't care if i spray her. She has more toys then most children and a very nice cat condo to entertain her. I spend a lot of time playing with her. But as soon as she doest have my undivided attention she makes me her chew toy. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Thanks.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Firstly, I hope you never use your hands as 'toys' as it gives exactly the wrong message.

Spraying doesn't work.. in fact punishment doesn't work at all with cats, although a good 'mother cat' hiss often works wonders.

Ignoring or distracting are the best ways around it.  I know it's difficult to ignore a pussycat that has her teeth embedded in you hand
  but giving her a big reaction reinforces the fact that she's getting your attention.

Try the hissing thing for starters.. I've been amazed at my boy's response (he's not a biter.. just a very naughty boy)...   I do a hiss and a clap.

Welcome to TCS, by the way

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a young biter as well. Like yours, he is the sweetest cat but loves chewing things indiscriminately and that includes me. I tried the water spray once but then felt it was too extreme. Hissing hasn't had much effect in my case. Jasper just looks up briefly and then continues gnawing at me. I've tried to sqeal but it doesn't come out right and i wonder what the neighbours are thinking:) One thing I've noticed is my tendency to distract him with a toy immediately. I think this probably sends the message that biting me is a good way to get attention. I do like Mani's suggestion of clapping. I did that once to stop Jasper eating a strange bug and it worked brilliantly. Recently I have tried to just ignore, like Mani said, unless he is really digging in. Surprisingly it often works. If you just go still they seem to quickly lose interest and don't bite as hard. I hope it might work for you. I've also just started accepting that Jasper will just have grow out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well hissing and clapping have not worked so far. So I moved on to ignoring. This is not easy. She bites hard. She draws blood. But she still does it. It's like she just wants to sit and chew on me. I swear she's trying to eat me lol. I don't play with her with my hands. Some times I can distract her fir a while with a feather wand but she prefers to sit and bite me. She stops as soon as I get off the computer or wake up.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, she is getting the reaction she wants (you getting off the computer or waking up), so it's positive reinforcement in her kitty mind. I know it's difficult, but I do think your best bets are ignoring her or distracting her with a toy she can chew on.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a newby too and noticed your post about biting. My boy has used  biting to get attention (or tried to) since I adopted him. Trying to get me off the computer is his main mission! I agree spraying is a punishment and wouldn't want to use - I've seen other cats become very nervous after someone has done this.  He doesn't hiss so I wouldn't want to teach him:)  he's very sweet.... I know my furbaby hates loud noise and clapping would be good except it's hard to do when he's chewing on my arm.  I've found that a sudden 'OUCH' works well and I'm convinced he now knows when he's hurting me. If I say 'NO', most times he will now respond and stop the biting but occasionally I have to repeat it a couple of times while he looks at me with a seriously cheeky face.  I do take his biting as his hint that he wants to play and respond a short time later and try to tire him out a bit. The tiring him out bit hardly ever works though! I'm lucky as he's never drawn blood and doesn't do it to visitors.

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has never done it to anyone but me either. Today I gave her an empty toilet paper roll to destroy while I was trying to get on the computer. She would not play with her toys and ah loves to tear those toilet paper rolls (which I normally don't let her do). It worked for about 5 min. Then she was back to biting. She really hates me being on the computer.
The night thing is a little discouraging just because she stopped doing in for a lomg time and just recently started up again. But the last 2 nights I was able to distract her with a toy and she left me alone.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a sensory thing, as well as getting your attention. What about getting some rubbery chew toys if you haven't tried that. I'm not sure if baby teething toys fit that description, or perhaps toys designed for puppies. It sounds pretty hard for you if she is drawing blood. What about talking to your vet, especially if they are knowledgeable on behavioural issues?

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By now, (from being bitten so many times) you probably know when she is about to bite. That's when you have to do something, i.e. get up and leave, give her a time out, end the play session. After she bites, the deed is already done. She needs to learn what she is about to do leads to something she doesn't want-no more attention, no more game and fun.

You can also teach her that quiet types of attention can be fun. You can have a play session with lots of running and jumps (Da Bird, anyone?) and when she is good and tired, sit in front of the computer, but facing her, give her verbal attention. Tell her what a smart and pretty kitty she is; keep talking to her from where you are sitting. You can even use the end of wand toy (sans the fun part so she doesn't get riled up again) to stroke her lightly. (Or any long stick; just be careful not to poke her.)

This exercise is to get her to used to the idea that having you sitting at the desk can still mean something nice for her. Gradually, you can lessen the pets and start responding with voice only. (You can read aloud what you are working on.)

As for night time attention seeking, you can schedule a play session and a meal right before bed time. And do not get up to play with her. You might have to lock her out of the bedroom if the problem persists.

Self-entertaining toys such as Turbo Track can be useful also; a simple cardboard box or a brown paper bag with a ping-pong ball thrown in works just as well too, but don't leave toys laying around. Toys have to be rotated to keep her interested.

colorful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:lol3:true my little kitty always chewing on things she can find i even found her trying to nibble thru one of my pillows

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't asked the vet. I do know when she is about to do it. So I will try getting up. It's not like I spend hours and hours on the computer. I teach preschool, and a weekly requirement is lesson plans. They take about 45 min. That's my main computer time. Otherwise I use the iPad. That doesn't bother her. She LOVES da bird. She plays so hard that she actually pants. I freaked and called the ver the first time. We play before bed. I will try playing before the computer. That might actually work! I'll also look at Some rubbery toys. She is a chewer. When Ignore her like suggested she just lays there and chews on me.

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she is "jealous" about the computer because it looks and sounds like you are really playing-you are tapping your fingers, moving the mouse and looking intently at the screen.

(This is the reason why cats lay on whatever we are reading.) Kittens are naturally mouthy, and usually mother cats teach them what is appropriate or not, but maybe she was separated from her Mom too soon.

Get her to be too tired to play before you start at the computer; computer time is now her "rest and be spoken to" time.

I have heard dog chew toys work for cats in some cases (Kong for example-you can stash treats inside) but do make sure she doesn't swallow a chunk of it. Kitten teeth are sharp and she can easily take a bite off! (As if you don't know that.)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean about the keyboard tapping thing sounding like you're playing when on the computer. I've sometimes wondered if Mouse thinks it's a call to play as he can be off and busy doing his own thing in another room for ages but as soon as I start work on the computer he appears! Then he gets frustrated that I don't get up and play instantly, presumably because he thinks I've been tapping to get his attention. Talking to him, wand toys or throwing games just won't do, he wants me on the floor giving him my full attention..... I know I live with a young cat with a 'high play drive' who likes games involving interaction with humans and for this I am very, very happy (unless he decides to play at 4-30 am - and NO, I do not get up). I wouldn't want him any other way but his teeth are quite sharp:)  I do hope you find some kind of system that works with your kitten before it gets too big as it will only get more painful and risky for you. It was really hard ignoring Mouse and training him to let go when he was little but I'm so glad I did. He is now very strong, his teeth are still razor sharp, and his bite is deep enough to grip my forearm. Sadly no amount of chewing on other things seemed to alter Mouse's inclination to bite me occasionally when he feels he's being ignored but any non-reinforcing strategy that your little fur friend would find fun and distracting is always worth trying. They are all little individuals and sometimes it's the strangest things that can work. Interested to hear how you get on.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if spraying something on your skin that is unpleasant (non-toxic of course) to cats would work. Bitter apple spray is used to deter cats from chewing things like power cords. I can't see why that couldn't be used on yourself. Maybe it's sticky but it sounds like that would be better than getting bitten so hard in any case.  I do think she will stop once she learns an alternative pattern of behaviour.

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FYI

This may sound odd, but now would be a good time to introduce oral care if you haven't already. Because she is feeling things with her mouth, she will be more open to having her mouth touched. Cats live for a long time these days; they live healthier and happier lives with regular dental care. (It's much cheaper - and less risky health wise- to brush cat's teeth regularly at home than having them cleaned by a vet also.) She might even enjoy the extra attention.

You can start with a piece of gauze wrapped on your finger, kitten toothbrush dipped in Tuna juice etc. It's easier after a play, when she is tired.

Last edited:

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This weekend I will have to spend some serious time on the computer (school starts in a month) so it will be a good time to try tiring her out first. Lets hope that works. Do they make cat toothpaste?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely!  And cat toothbrushes.  My favourite 'brush' is a rubber one with rubber bristles that I put on my finger, but it's good to get them used to a proper brush.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I get my boy's tubes from the vet but the local pet supermarket here in UK sells the same stuff.  When I started to use the paste my vet gave me a free  sample sachet to try first to see if he'd take to it as it is quite pricey. (He instantly loved it). My pet insurers don't cover it even though I use it twice a day as they say it's something all pet owners should do. I too use the rubber finger brush as Mouse seems to like the idea he's being allowed to chew my finger and it adds to the game idea:)  When I started off and didn't have the stuff with a brush I used a cotton wool bud: I wanted to keep all my fingers and I knew he liked the cotton buds as he was always raiding the bins for them to chew on but I'd confiscate as soon as I spotted him. What a mean Mouse Servant I am.

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are so many different flavors of pet toothpaste now. Mine likes chicken flavor. It supposedly work with special enzyme.

Even brushing alone without toothpaste is OK. They seem to not mind having the front teeth and the fangs brushed (they can keep their mouth closed) so you might want to start with those and over time, start working on the back teeth.

About keeping her occupied: This is somewhat like plunking children in front of a tele, but if she likes laser toys, there is Frolicat automatic laser toy. Again, it is important that you hide toys away from her and rotate them so it will be all fresh and new every time. Throw a cardboard box on the floor with a few crinkly toys inside or turn Frolicat on and they entertain themselves happily, darting in and out of the box.

Getting her good and tired: from my experience, getting them to "work out" in several sessions (a few minutes each) with short rests in between seem to work better than all out 15 minutes-non-stop-hard exercise (this actually get them too excited to go to sleep-just like human children.). In other words, build it up to just before she starts panting, rest (she will lie down, so you will know), pick up again, rest, repeat a few times. Try 15-20 minutes total.

Last edited:

brandi122088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Playing with misty before getting on the computer has worked! She naps while I work. Tomorrow I will look at the pet store for the kitty toothbrush and toothpaste.