My cat bit me and it broke the skin a little

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not so much cat health and more me health. He's a brat & wanted me to wake up when I wanted to sleep in about an hour and a half ago, so he bit my pinky finger right at the nail and made it bleed just a bit at the surface. I immediately washed it and treated it with bactine. Currently it's a bit red and a bit swollen, not painful, doesn't currently seem to be getting worse. Just wondering if I really need to go to urgent care, I'd rather not if I don't have to given the current health crisis, but I also don't want the bite to get infected. He had his rabies shot last year. What are your experiences with cat bites??

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he just broke through the surface it should be fine as long as you cleaned it up.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have (thankfully) never had a cat bite or scratch get infected, and all I've ever done is wash it and would apply a bit of polysporin IF it bled. You should be fine if you washed it well.
Did you let it bleed for a bit? That helps clean out the wound as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I let it bleed for maybe less than a minute before cleaning it, but there wasn't much coming out. It's forming a teeny tiny scab of dried blood at the cuticle

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat bites do tend to get infected, so keep a close eye on it. Keep it clean and covered with a bandage and antibiotic ointment. If it starts to get red and swollen, draw around the red part with a pen, and if it expands call the doctor (they don't want you to go to Emergency unless you're having a heart attack or stroke or something); they should be able to prescribe antibiotics over the phone.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just watch it if it were me ( I am not a doctor though). If it shows signs of infection call the doctor. If you can get some ichthomol ( sorry for the poor spelling), it is a black salve sold for it’s drawing properties. I found mine at CVS drugs. Cat show judges keep it in their tack boxes in case of a bite. You can also soak it i as hot of salt water as you can stand.