My Cat Begs For Playtime... Then Stops Playing... Then Begs Again A Minute Later

RS13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here but I have a problem that's been driving me nuts. I've had my cat for 6 years (since he was around four months) and he's always been very playful. Which is something I love about him :). For the past 5 years, when he wanted to play he would come up and meow at me and then I'd play with him until he was tired out, which could take a fair bit of time.

Recently, however, when he asks for playtime, he only wants to play for a minute or so. And then I go back to whatever I was doing. But within a few minutes he's right back demanding playtime. It's gotten to where I either have to sit through his meows or spend all my time trying to play with him in one minute intervals.

I think this may have to do with going from a two cat to a one cat household: I was watching a friend's cat for an extended period and recently returned her, this started right after that. But my cat never really seemed to like the other cat (or other cats in general) and money doesn't really permit taking on a second cat (my friend was paying for her cat's expenses).

So what should I do? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Although the other cat didn't die, it's a loss for your cat, so he certainly could be in a sort of mourning.

I don't have any experience with a cat having to deal with the loss of another cat. Hopefully there will be other members who do, and who will reply.

Meanwhile, here's a TCS article that does mention a possible change in personality after a death:
Do Cats Mourn?

And this article specifically mentions "Clingy/needy behaviour and/or separation anxiety", which sounds like what your cat is doing: The Cat's Meow - Is My Cat Sad Because His Buddy's Gone?