My Cat ate packing tape

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On Monday I got a delivery in a really big box I figured my cats would like to play in. I don't leave unsupervised because Petey loves to chew cardboard - he bites it off and spits it out. I would go in the other room to do something here and there but always listening for the chewing. At one point I came running in and he was pulling on a piece of tape. So I took the box and put it in the basement. 

Wednesday (yesterday) Petey threw up a lot of what looked like digested food and a small hairball - small. When I got home from work he seemed fine, huge appetite as always and he also pooped that evening. 

This morning when I got up there was some dried vomit in the bathroom on the rug. When I went to clean it, it was basically a 3 inch (ish) piece of tape - from the box on Monday - with some food stuck to it. 

My question is .. how do I know that's all he ate off the box? He did vomit twice before throwing it up but he also ate normally and pooped and peed. Do I need to have him xrayed? Long story but a URI went around between my 3 cats and we've had LOTS of vet visits in the past few weeks. Don't want to do it if it's not needed but don't want to be careless.

Thank you so much for any input!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Your best bet would be to call your vet and explain what happened along with what he has eaten, vomited, etc. In a lot of cases they will tell you to watch and wait. It's probably good that he vomited that up, but I would really call just to double-check what they think. Better safe than sorry. :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it is very hard to talk to my vet same day. I called this morning and probably won't hear back until 5pm at best. That's why I posted here. :(