My Cat Ate her Toy! (Starchaser toy warning)

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got Trivia the Star Chaser toy.  It is a round disk with a centre scratch pad and a illuminated ball in a circular track.  I also got an accessory that consists of a plastic rod in the centre that has a feather dangling from it.  Trivia ripped the centre post out and removed the cap to free the feather so she could "kill it".  When I found this, I could not find the cap, which is about an inch long and at least a 1/4 in diameter.  My wife thought she might have ate it, but it seemed too big and I assumed she might have fired it off into some dark crevasse in the room under or behind furniture.

The following 24 hours we watched her and she was acting, eating, and pooping fine.  Then, this morning (about 48 hours after), she threw up after breakfast and the toy piece was in the sick.  There was no blood in the sick, Trivia is still acting fine, and ate a second breakfast after being sick.  Right now she's switching between playing and grooming.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks for the warning on the toys

And thank goodness she chucked it up! It had to come out one way and glad it came out the safe way! I always check the cats toys, and I would often cut the tails off the toy mice if I feel they aren't strong enough. My one cat would eat anything string!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that warning also.  I would have been going crazy wondering about that too.

We try and be careful of our toys too.  Just yesterday, we realized one of the little balls we have, which has a jingly piece inside it when it rolls it makes a nice noise for them, which seemed safe enough, actually wasn't because it also has metallic "feathery" pieces on the sides to entice the cat to chase it.  Kind of like wings I guess.  Those were making Casper nuts, he was trying to chew them off.  My BF noticed immediately, showed it to me, and it was full of drool.  He cut them off right down to the plastic ball.  The ball is strong enough, not worried about that but little side pieces certainly couldn't be good to swallow.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw some toys like that, with metallic foil like bits and avoided them. I know my cats will eat it. XD