My Cat Ate A Raw Piece Of Steak.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Let me tell you my story. On Sunday Oliver without our permission went on top of the sink and took a piece of steak. My mom had left the kitchen for about a minute and he wanted to be sneaky and took it. We didn't realize until he had almost finished the entire piece of steak. Yesterday he woke up with diarrhea/watery barely only liquid. He ate yesterday almost his normal portions. Today he only ate half his breakfast and drank water. Had a bowel movement around 5 am still diarrhea. I have been suspicious that he might have sensitive stomach like some kind of IBD or IBS. I currently feed him only wet food Weruva. But idk what to do. I am thinking of taking him to the vet. But let's say he is diagnosed with IBS or IBD. What kind of food can I give him? I am getting frustrated because I don't like to see him not his normal self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another comment where can I find Raw Goats Milk? I have read it good for cats with sensitive stomach.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, sneaky kitty!!

Eating raw beef after never having raw before would likely cause diarrhea. Tagging orange&white orange&white for clarification. My cat can't handle beef in any amount and will vomit it up immediately....it's very rich.

My cat very likely has some sort of IBS/IBD. He has a history of throwing up almost EVERYTHING I feed him and has always had very stinky poops, and is very susceptible to UTIs. I switched him to a raw diet a few months ago and he's a new cat. I tried making it myself at first, but got frustrated and gave up...now he eats RadCat, chicken and turkey. Soft coat, no more UTIs, poop doesn't smell, not more vomiting.

I give him goat's milk, about 1/3 cup, with every meal. I feed both Answer's fermented goat's milk, and the Primal brand. The ingredients are about the same, and I haven't noticed a difference in digestion or preference. I have to shop small, local pet stores to get either kind of goat's milk. The Primal brand will likely be easier to find.

I think that the goat's milk has really helped both of my cats. I'm a convert.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, sneaky kitty!!

Eating raw beef after never having raw before would likely cause diarrhea. Tagging orange&white orange&white for clarification. My cat can't handle beef in any amount and will vomit it up immediately....it's very rich.
Was it raw and unseasoned, or had there been seasoning/marinade added to it?

If it was plain, unseasoned beef then I would suspect an intolerance to beef. The only way I know to "test" the possibility is to buy a small can of beef cat food and see if you get the same response. I'm sure you don't want to repeat those symptoms, but I'm not sure how else you would test for a food intolerance.

What made you suspect IBD or IBS before the raw steak incident? He's had problems with different foods before?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beef is hard to digest, even for humans. Poor kitty.
From watching the cats outside hunt I know that oily dark meat found in rodents is their preferred meal. In wild birds, they mostly eat the inner cavity contents, I won't get more descriptive than that.
Right now I would just leave a plate with some dry kibble in case he gets hungry, don't waste the wet food. Everything is going to feel uncomfortable while he passes the beef.
Dry food and water. You could take him to the vet but they might misdiagnose it as a chronic condition and it might be just because he ate too much beef and didn't yack it up. This is only my opinion because I have seen vets make mistakes, it isn't advice.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry...I would not do the beef test trial I recommended right now while he is still healing from the weekend. My writing wasn't very clear. :oops: Let him heal and feel better.

I would also see if his appetite and stools improve for the rest of today before considering a rush to the vet. If he doesn't do better today, I would call the vet tomorrow.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, sneaky kitty!!

My cat very likely has some sort of IBS/IBD. He has a history of throwing up almost EVERYTHING I feed him and has always had very stinky poops, and is very susceptible to UTIs. I switched him to a raw diet a few months ago and he's a new cat. I tried making it myself at first, but got frustrated and gave up...now he eats RadCat, chicken and turkey. Soft coat, no more UTIs, poop doesn't smell, not more vomiting.

I give him goat's milk, about 1/3 cup, with every meal. I feed both Answer's fermented goat's milk, and the Primal brand. The ingredients are about the same, and I haven't noticed a difference in digestion or preference. I have to shop small, local pet stores to get either kind of goat's milk. The Primal brand will likely be easier to find.

I think that the goat's milk has really helped both of my cats. I'm a convert.
Thank you for answering back. I defiantly want to switch to raw food but I am not sure where to buy it. I saw I can buy it online but you have to pay a surcharge that I do not want to pay. Do you know where I can order it from?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make my cats' mix "from scratch" with the same meats from the grocery store that buy for myself, plus a few supplements. If you want to get pre-made raw cat food mix, I'm sure there are several mom & pop stores in your area that carry it. Even the major box stores like PetSmart are carrying raw mixes these days.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was it raw and unseasoned, or had there been seasoning/marinade added to it?

If it was plain, unseasoned beef then I would suspect an intolerance to beef. The only way I know to "test" the possibility is to buy a small can of beef cat food and see if you get the same response. I'm sure you don't want to repeat those symptoms, but I'm not sure how else you would test for a food intolerance.

What made you suspect IBD or IBS before the raw steak incident? He's had problems with different foods before?
The steak was unseasoned. I have tried giving beef meals before but he did not really eat it because he didn't like it. The reason why I suspect IBS/IBD is because his poopy is very smelly and soft with some mucus. I took him to the vet they did a stool test and it came out negative for bacteria. I am not sure what to do anymore because I don't want him to feel uncomfortable.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beef is hard to digest, even for humans. Poor kitty.
From watching the cats outside hunt I know that oily dark meat found in rodents is their preferred meal. In wild birds, they mostly eat the inner cavity contents, I won't get more descriptive than that.
Right now I would just leave a plate with some dry kibble in case he gets hungry, don't waste the wet food. Everything is going to feel uncomfortable while he passes the beef.
Dry food and water. You could take him to the vet but they might misdiagnose it as a chronic condition and it might be just because he ate too much beef and didn't yack it up. This is only my opinion because I have seen vets make mistakes, it isn't advice.
Thank you very much for the response. I will defiantly wait it out a little longer.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering back. I defiantly want to switch to raw food but I am not sure where to buy it. I saw I can buy it online but you have to pay a surcharge that I do not want to pay. Do you know where I can order it from?
Looks like you're in Long Island? I checked the RadCat website and found two stores that carry it in that city: Chateau le Woof, and Pet Island.

There are other commercial raw options, but that one is my favorite.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Independent pet stores sell commercially available brands of raw cat food. Petco and Pets Supplies Plus may have raw foods available but the cat selection is typically very limited and only in the smallest bags. Nature's Variety Instinct, Rad Cat, and Primal are just some brands available. You can also make your own raw cat food but before you must read up on how to diet a raw diet correctly. There's a forum here on TCS with more info on raw diets: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I make my cats' mix "from scratch" with the same meats from the grocery store that buy for myself, plus a few supplements. If you want to get pre-made raw cat food mix, I'm sure there are several mom & pop stores in your area that carry it. Even the major box stores like PetSmart are carrying raw mixes these days.
I called a few of my local pet stores and they have Stella & Chewy and Fresh Pet RAW food. They said they can order RADCAT. Should I wait to until I get that brand?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fresh Pet gets crappy reviews. Stella & Chewy's is alright, but I don't like all the extra ingredients. I think they're probably fairly similar in price.

I feed Nature's Variety Instinct to my dog and chose not to feed it to my cat because, again, it had a lot of extra ingredients, and I was trying to achieve as "natural" a diet as possible. Before purchasing RadCat (or any raw food), be sure to look at reviews, ingredients, etc. and decide if it's a good fit for your cat.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! Oliver is doing much better. He ate his whole dinner and hasn't had a bowel movement since 5:30am. I did go but goats milk. Hopefully that doesn't give him diarrhea again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can be picky about food. Neither of my cats will touch Rad Cat. One used to like Primal and Stella and Chewy's but refused them after awhile. Both are now fed Nature's Variety Instinct along with some raw with a pre-mix. See if you can get samples of a vareity of raw foods to try. Many cats won't eat raw right away so you need to mix it into canned food and use toppers for awhile.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good news! Oliver is doing much better. He ate his whole dinner and hasn't had a bowel movement since 5:30am. I did go but goats milk. Hopefully that doesn't give him diarrhea again.
I'm curious to know how he takes to the goat's milk! It was the only thing that convinced my kitten to nibble at his raw. Now he's obsessed with both.

brendis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know how he takes to the goat's milk! It was the only thing that convinced my kitten to nibble at his raw. Now he's obsessed with both.
I will definitely let you know. I hope this helps with his smelly poop and stomach issues. I feel Oliver is not very picky because he eat about anything you give him. If he does good with goat milk I will give it to him as a treat.