my cat as a therapy cat

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really want my cat to become a therapy cat. I am going to college soon, and I will have to live in a dorm room, which will not allow animals. I have bad anxiety and my cat realm helps with it, also their wont be anybody to take care of her when I leave, so I need to get it certified as a service/ therapy animal, so that I can take her.

The only problem is that she doesn't meet the requirements. She isn't all to sure about meeting new people, she is six pounds of muscle ready to kill a great Dane, she doesn't do good in crowds etc
I really need her with me, please tell me their is a way to have her with me.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a difference between a personal "emotional support animal" for anxiety and a "therapy animal" that you take into nursing homes and schools.

The only thing you need is a note from a therapist or similar saying you need an emotional support animal for anxiety. That's different than a therapy animal, so she shouldn't have to pass any behavior standards. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you SO MUCH paiger8!!

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link @paiger8
Also does it cost money?

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. Does it have to be a certain kind of doctor? Or just one that is familiar with it?

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would start with the college. They are more understanding than the government on these issues. And, they will tell you what are the requirements for a support animal at their college. You may not care what HUD requires for assisted housing, or the TSA for what animal you can take on a plane.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. Does it have to be a certain kind of doctor? Or just one that is familiar with it?
The website says "A licensed mental health professional." So I'm guessing any psychologist, psychiatrist, etc... type of doctor. I'm not 100% sure, I don't know anyone that has an ESA. 

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will definitely check it out

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You can start with your primary physician; or, if you have seen a therapist for anxiety already, they could certainly write the letter for you.

There should be no cost to you for this, aside from a co-pay to see your Dr.

You will then need to talk with the housing/residence life at the college you will be attending and see what type of accommodations will need to be arraigned. It's possible that you might need to be in a different dorm in order to be separated from those that might have animal allergies, depending on how the air is circulated/recirculated through the dorm.

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can start with your primary physician; or, if you have seen a therapist for anxiety already, they could certainly write the letter for you.

There should be no cost to you for this, aside from a co-pay to see your Dr.

You will then need to talk with the housing/residence life at the college you will be attending and see what type of accommodations will need to be arraigned. It's possible that you might need to be in a different dorm in order to be separated from those that might have animal allergies, depending on how the air is circulated/recirculated through the dorm.
I never considered that

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would a small animal like a hamster or rat or fish have the same benefits as your cat?
Small animals are easy to keep in a dorm room. But a roommate who is a stickler for rules or has an allergy to animals or whatever may get you into trouble. You will have to bring the pet home with you for school breaks or ask someone who's staying off campus or even a professor to look after your pet in their home.

I made it through college despite having pretty bad anxiety. I don't know what type of anxiety you have but for me, getting involved in activities and a work study job helped a lot as well as having a small group of friends. I later had a gerbil in my dorm room (single, no roommate) and knew plenty of other people who had pets in their room, ranging from ferrets to rabbits to a cat. Someone even snuck a goat kid in for a few hours and no one cared (the college had a barn). I spent a lot of time at the barn just being around the farm animals. Senior year I worked in a lab that used zebrafish as the model so that was another way to get my "animal fix" in.

Volunteering at a shelter or rescue near your college may be an option. It's not the same as having a cat sprawled over your books late at night while you're studying but it's might be helpful.

Have you ever gotten treatment for the anxiety? If not, look into it. There are non-medicine treatment options for many types of anxiety, like cognitive behavior therapy. The health service at the college can provide help and resources. You can talk to your doctor before you head off to college, too. College is a huge stressful change for many people and sometimes the anxiety and other mental heath issues can get really bad.

Just wanted to throw out some options for you

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would a small animal like a hamster or rat or fish have the same benefits as your cat? :think: Small animals are easy to keep in a dorm room. But a roommate who is a stickler for rules or has an allergy to animals or whatever may get you into trouble. You will have to bring the pet home with you for school breaks or ask someone who's staying off campus or even a professor to look after your pet in their home.

I made it through college despite having pretty bad anxiety. I don't know what type of anxiety you have but for me, getting involved in activities and a work study job helped a lot as well as having a small group of friends. I later had a gerbil in my dorm room (single, no roommate) and knew plenty of other people who had pets in their room, ranging from ferrets to rabbits to a cat. Someone even snuck a goat kid in for a few hours and no one cared (the college had a barn). I spent a lot of time at the barn just being around the farm animals. Senior year I worked in a lab that used zebrafish as the model so that was another way to get my "animal fix" in.

Volunteering at a shelter or rescue near your college may be an option. It's not the same as having a cat sprawled over your books late at night while you're studying but it's might be helpful.

Have you ever gotten treatment for the anxiety? If not, look into it. There are non-medicine treatment options for many types of anxiety, like cognitive behavior therapy. The health service at the college can provide help and resources. You can talk to your doctor before you head off to college, too. College is a huge stressful change for many people and sometimes the anxiety and other mental heath issues can get really bad.

Just wanted to throw out some options for you :)
I am taking medications for depression ( my parents stressed me out and made me depressed when I was little, but I am getting better.)
No, I have to take Gracie, for her sake and mine, she has nobody else, and we have a bond like nothing else. After I get home from school she climbs down the wisteria and runs to my arms. When my brother is home and I at school she paws at my window hopeing I am home. If I left her... I would be a complete mess. She calms me and she is so silly. Everybody says she is "half-wild" and they are right. She loves to do silly things like jump across my lap onto te shelf on the wall and all types of crazy acrobatic stuff (lol) that brings a smile to my face.
We need each other.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking a cat to college may not be an option. Many people have cat allergies, and you will have a roommate freshman year. In a tiny, tiny room, there may not be the room or interest for a litter box and a cat. It's also a small space to confine your cat to...

I would suggest starting conversations with your college now, but know that they may not be able to allow a cat even if she's an emotional support.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a plan on how to afford cat food and litter and other supplies and vet care (including emergency vet care) while you are at college without relying too much on your parents?

Most colleges require freshman to live on campus (unless they live locally) and have a roommate. A roommate may not share your same affection for a cat and more than likely won't put up with a litter box in the room and cat hair on everything. And you can't really trust a roommate or her friends to not let the cat out the door or feed it something harmful or harm or scare the cat in some way. If your cat claws or bites out of fear, that may well result in a bigger issue. Getting a single room is tough for freshman and the space tends to be really small. Even if you add vertical things for the cat to sit on, it's still cramped. And a litter box will quickly smell and the odor may seep out into the hallway and bother other students.

Out of curiosity, why can't your parents take care of your cat for you? I do understand the bond thing. I'm sure your parents will be able to care for your cat
They may not give the cat as much attention and playtime as you would but at least the cat will be happy at home instead of in a cramped dorm room with strange smells and sounds. Maybe you can Skype (or however people do live chatting now with a web cam) home every night and "visit" with your cat and parents.

Freshman year in college is stressful for many so don't feel like you're alone
I was a complete mess the entire year. I had never been away from home before so my anxiety was horrible. It didn't help that my parents were not supportive or encouraging of me even being in college. I ended up taking a semester off. When I returned, college life was much easier to deal with.

This is probably going off topic now

If you do seek out the emotional support thing, discuss it with the college (housing office) well in advanced of move-in day. And don't be surprised if they deny your request to bring your cat even if you provide documentation from a doctor.

Maybe too late for this but can you attend a local college instead so you can live at home and not be away from your cat?

Last edited:

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I live in Lubbock and I plan on studying horticulture at tech [emoji]128522[/emoji]
My parents would NOT take Gracie.
Maybe I could brainstorm some ways to make her not feel so cramped in the dorm[emoji]10067[/emoji][emoji]10067[/emoji]
She does like to explore her territory, and she is rather wild. That could cause problems.
But I'm sure that there is a way to make it work[emoji]8252[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I live in Lubbock and I plan on studying horticulture at tech [emoji]128522[/emoji]
My parents would NOT take Gracie.
Maybe I could brainstorm some ways to make her not feel so cramped in the dorm[emoji]10067[/emoji][emoji]10067[/emoji]
She does like to explore her territory, and she is rather wild. That could cause problems.
But I'm sure that there is a way to make it work[emoji]8252[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]
Dorms are teally cramped by definition, unfortunately. It sounds like that wouldn't be ideal for Gracie or your roommate(s).

Let us know what the school says. You will definitely need to discuss with them well in advance.

Is there another friend or family member who could watch her while you're at school? You could offer to pay for her care. Why won't your parents take care of her? Don't you have other cats, too?

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont know. I just really want to take her. If she explored the dorm while we were all gone than she would feel cramped. It really depends on who I have as a roommate. Maybe we could come up with an idea as to how to keep her from getting out of the dorm without permission..