My cat and kitten fight

moe1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got a new kitten on Saturday who is 12 weeks old we already have a 1 year old cat , we done everything properly gave kitten sanctuary ect , the cats will eat next to eat other in the sanctuary room , but our older cat will just randomly attack kitten pounce on her for no reason , pinning her down which really scares the kitten , we have let the kitten walk around the house without other cat there then let other cat out he didn't react to her smell badly , he dosnt even hiss at her it's so confusing because when he's not with her he cries at her door , the kitten dose hiss at him however when he bullies her which is kind of expected , I have been uses a spray bottle to break fights up which works temporally

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The kitten has only been in your house for a few days so it's too early for them to have got used to each other. I think you need to separate them for now and then do the introductions really slowly. You can't rush these things, young kittens usually warm up to strange cats faster than adult cats do, but you should plan on it taking at least a couple of weeks for them to get comfortable with each other.

Here's an article on introductions.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

And please don't use a spray bottle to discipline them. It won't work, it will just teach them to fear you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moe1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Male is sprayed kitten isn't she's only 12 weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moe1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And kitten is a female

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay...good.  Yes the article Norachan posted above is all about introductions.  Your older cat seems to be asserting dominance over the kitten.  This is okay unless you think he is really hurting her.  Does she cry out in pain when he does that?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
12 weeks is a good age to get the new kitten spayed. I recommend that you do this before you go any further with the introductions, as when she comes back from the vet she is going to smell strange so your male cat won't recognise her. You might need to do the introductions all over again.

So, keep them separate for now, make an appointment to have her spayed and once she's recovered from her operation start the first stages of the introduction so they get used to the smell of each other before they come face to face.