My Cat And Her Babies

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat had her first and last babies she delivered 4 kittens but 2 died the other two she will lay 9n them or step on them her bed is big enough for them what can I do because I don't think she likes her babies I think she just tolerates them someone help please don't want these babies to die

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she kill the 2 that died? There could be a reason, if they are sick, or she could be just young and inexperienced. How old is she? You might have to intervene and bottle feed them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had her for a year when I got her she was 4 moths old and I don't know if she killed the other 2 I didn't know that she had them until I came home and heard them when I removed the soiled towel that's when I found the 2 dead kittens

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been seen by the vet during this pregnancy to ensure her and the kittens are healthy? Do you know who she mated with or did she accidently slip out? There are a million reasons she could be acting like this. I would go get some bottles and kitten formula and be prepared to feed them around the clock every 2 hours or so and keep them nice and warm and stimulate them to go to the bathroom. You have a lot of work ahead of you! Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make sure your cat is in a dark, private place like a closet in your bedroom, away from people. Put her food, water, and litter box nearby. Close her in the room. She should feel safer.

Her hormones are in high gear right now. Most mama cats settle down within about 48 hours of delivering.

In the meantime, make sure the kittens are nursing. If not, you’ll need to feed them yourself every 2 hours with kitten formula and a syringe.

Keep us posted!

Caring Gma Caring Gma

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know who she mated with I didn't know that she was pregnant I just thought that she was fat by then the vet wanted 250 for X-ray's which I didn't have but I be taking her on my next pay day she feeds them but the look on her face is like I'm only doing this because I have too she doesn't look like an exciting mom

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 she is in my room under my nightstand she nurses them but she doesn't look happy doing it I don't know maybe she is

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be okay. It’s good she is taking care of them. Give her time.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get a small kitchen or postage scale so you can weigh the babies daily and make sure they’re getting enough to eat.

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know who she mated with I didn't know that she was pregnant I just thought that she was fat by then the vet wanted 250 for X-ray's which I didn't have but I be taking her on my next pay day she feeds them but the look on her face is like I'm only doing this because I have too she doesn't look like an exciting mom
I mean, she isn't an excited mom. They don't think that way. She is a young cat who went outside and was impregnated against her will by a male cat. It is EXTREMELY painful for the female when mating (the males penis has barbs pointing the wrong direction, easy in, painful out) they don;'t do it because they WANT to, because they enjoy it, or because they want to "start a family". One of the many reasons we are very pro spay neuter here :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your mama cat doing today? Has she settled down some?

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did settle down but today she moved her kittens and I have no idea where they are

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were in my closet last night today I have no idea where they are she hasn't been outside at all

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope she didn't kill them

Caring Gma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the mom been walking around eating like nothing happened I just found the kittens in my daughter's dresser and I just fed them they haven't been eating

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Uh oh! She needs to be closed in a room with her food, water, litter and the kittens. She does not need whole house access right now. Supervise often.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, keep her in one room with the door shut, weigh the kittens every day to make sure they are eating. Go in with mama every couple of hours and pet her, talking soothingly, to get her to relax and make sure the babies are eating. It is easier doing this then bottle feeding every two hours. she is a too young, inexperienced mom who is frightened and confused and needs help. Make sure the kittens eat and she is cleaning their behinds. Sooner or later instinct should kick in. If not they need you. In my experience, once a mom acts like this they will on the next batch too. Please get her spayed.