My Cat Always Seems Thristy

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and thanks for any advice anyone can offer me

This is my 1st cat and I'm uncertain what's normal behavior and what's not. I'm also his 3rd owner so I haven't seen what's been normal behavior for him, but it seems like he's always thirsty.

He won't drink water from a bowl (But we loves to drink out of a glass). Anytime I go into the master bath he hops up on the sink and meows for me to turn on the water. He alternates between playing with it and licking the drops of water from the faucet. I have a regular tub in the common bathroom and he's obsessed with that. He loves for me to turn it on and he'll sit there and just watch the water. Once I've turned the water off and the tub drains he hops in and licks up the small puddles of water. I try and keep the kitchen sink going with at least a small stream of water going so he can help himself whenever he wants. I'm not sure what's normal thirst or whats some weird cat obsession with running water. Other than his obsession with water he seems like a normal cat to me.

Could someone offer me some guidance on how this ranks with cat behavior?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats like to drink moving water. I'm not sure if the water is fresher somehow or they just like to see the water moving. You can buy a pet water fountain so your cat has a constant source of moving water to drink from.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is urinating a lot, I would have his kidneys checked. If not, then he is probably playing or watching the water and not drinking water excessively. Some breeds of cats are water lovers, so a particular fascination with water may be in his genes.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound as if he is drinking a LOT of water, which would indicate kidney disease or diabetes. He just likes moving water. Get him a fountain, and he will love it and leave your faucets alone.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem is a water loving cat. I was so concerned about how much he drank, I had him tested when he was a couple years old. No diabetes, kidneys were working great, he just loves moving water. Some cats just LOVE water. So yes it might be worth it to rule out diabetes/general blood work ... but if he is a young other wise healthy cat, my guess would be he is a water loving cat. Buy him a fountain and be happy he is less likely to develop urinary issues :)