My browser doesn't recognize me

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I need to access my Google Mail, Drive, Photos, YouTube channel, or else that is under my username with Google from my PC, I need to login (email address and password) and then go through the process to authorize the access via my phone.

Every time I open TCS, it says I'm not logged in even if the "Remember me" flag is on.
And this happens with other websites that once I was always logged in even if I had turned my PC off.

I know I have fiddled with some settings somewhere in the settings of my Firefox browser. Probably it clears all the history every time I close it. But I don't know where to put my hands...
Would there be anybody who is so kind to tell me how to fix this? It's getting annoying.
Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
How long has it been since you completely shut down the computer?
Well, this thing has been going on for a while now, weeks.
It doesn't matter whether I switched the PC off a week ago or half an hour ago. It just happens all the times.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I meant to clarify, you're shutting the actual cpu off and not just the monitor-- some people do that.

Has your operating system had an update?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to clarify, you're shutting the actual cpu off and not just the monitor-- some people do that.

Has your operating system had an update?
Sorry about that.
It's a laptop PC, so when it's off, it's all off.
The operating system is Win10 64-bit, regularly updated.
The browser is Firefox 99.0.1, regularly updated.

I guess the issue lies in the history that is getting cleared up (too) often.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that.
It's a laptop PC, so when it's off, it's all off.
The operating system is Win10 64-bit, regularly updated.
The browser is Firefox 99.0.1, regularly updated.

That's odd as I purposely clear my history on a daily basis. My difference I'm using a Pad not a laptop.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand now :). I've heard there have been some issues with one of the latest operating system updates. Do you have a local computer expert who could look at the laptop?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd as I purposely clear my history on a daily basis. My difference I'm using a Pad not a laptop.
I rarely clear my history on purpose.
Every now and then I run CCleaner and it takes care of everything.
This issue is new to me.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand now :). I've heard there have been some issues with one of the latest operating system updates. Do you have a local computer expert who could look at the laptop?
There are a couple of PC stores and assistance, but I'd hate to pay maybe €20 or €30 for something that is easy to fix on my own or with the advice from someone who knows things better than me 😊

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what I was thinking. I haven't used Firefox in a long time, so my version is outdated, but if you can find the "options" tab (possibly the = in upper right corner) and then click on Privacy and Security, then go to History, and maybe you'll see that the tab for "Clear History when Firefox closes" is ticked.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I've had some similar issues--although not to the extent you're experiencing--including with TCS. I've been advised to delete the cookies from my browser. I use Safari not Firefox, but might that help?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Whenever I restart my Mac, Google Chrome doesn't recognize the browser I am using and loses all my information meaning I have to confirm ...
Why does website not recognize my device?

The error you get from the website stating your computer isn't recognized simply means that the cookie the website originally stored on your computer can not be located and the website is protecting your information by assuming someone from a different computer and/or location is attempting to access your data.Jul 30, 2009

Maybe these will help? They are older answers, though.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure your browser accepts cookies; use rubysmama rubysmama 's technique. At the same time you can make sure that the browser isn't set to automatically delete cookies when you exit. And be aware that some antimalware programs will try to delete cookies - if you run that kind of program regularly there should be some way available to deny it permission to delete cookies.

That should take care of TCS recognizing you; I don't know about Gmail, YouTube, etc..

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You may need to completely remove Firefox from your computer and then re-install it. Sometimes, when all else fails, that will work.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
firefox has a setting that can/will remember log in stuff for sites. i forget exactly/how and where it is on the settings you will have to fiddle around with the setttings careful when you do that though. you can end up blocking safe sites you visit too :lol:i did it to myself before.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made some experiments and I fixed the issue following Margret Margret 's advice.
There's a menu when the settings are "delete all cookies when Firefox closes", it was ticked. I unticked it and I tried to restart the PC a couple of times and all things were fine, but TCS where it was still asking me to login. I logged in one more time (the remember me tick was on) and then it was fine.
Thank everybody!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made some experiments and I fixed the issue following Margret Margret 's advice.
There's a menu when the settings are "delete all cookies when Firefox closes", it was ticked. I unticked it and I tried to restart the PC a couple of times and all things were fine, but TCS where it was still asking me to login. I logged in one more time (the remember me tick was on) and then it was fine.
Thank everybody!!!
I'm very glad it worked for you.

Margret