my boy Tuna passed away 24h ago

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't hold guilt over wanting the best for him. Guilt is for intentional acts, you did nothing but love and want teh best for him. You did nothing wrong, and provided him with a wonderful home and your love for his life, he is grateful for every second you were there with him. I believe that second meow was his goodbye, he wanted to reassure you that he was feeling you nearby, that he was surrounding himself with you love and caring and was receiving the comfort of having you there with him. You gave him that final act of love and it broke your heart, I would be thankful that it went so quickly, if it were my own, I would not want it prolonged in any way. Try not to dwell on the end, he would never want that to be your memories of the life you shared. Use the bond you two forged to receive his love and the comfort he is sending you now as you feel the loss to your heart and home. Celebrate sharing the time you did, he was in your life for a reason. His journey will parallel yours until it meets again when you reach the fork in your own road. Your heart does not know the difference between animal and human love, it just feels the loss. I'll pray for you both, please accept my condolences for your loss, take care..........RIP sweet Tuna, you will never be forgotten and will be tenderly held forever more in a loving heart. Sleep tight, sweet Prince!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuna211216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its unfair thst the needle of the first shot hurts them so much .

Now that i know this i would never let a vet do such a thing to my future pets .i believe they use a needle gauge thats too big but the the bigger the guage the fastee then can empty out the syringe but i think thats idiotic logic.. i used needles on myself before . An 18 or even 21 guage hurts feels like a stab and yes you can shoot the liquid out faster and the vet only had the needle in for 2 seconds .. but if she used a thinnee needle say a 26 gauge ive used 22s on myself and there was no pain of it going in so a 26 for a cat im sure would of been none and who cares if it takes longer to squirt the fluid out . 2sec instrad of 10seconds

Lile they assume that 2 seconds is better because its less time the needle is inside but the truth is its less work for them.
Or they might assume the shorter time the needle is inside the less chance of the animal jurking or resisting ok thats true but that should depend on animal and its condition

So in my case my tuna didnt even move when the needle went in he just meowed in pain which haunts me
I know that if they used a size 24 or 26 guage he wouldnt of even felt it and so what if the vet has to push on the syringe for longer to get the fluid in he wouodnt of resisted since he barely felt the needle go in anways

So 2seconds but pain or 10 seconds but no pain ..i pick 10 seconds and take the risk that tuna doesnt jurk his body while needle is in
I

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel bad for your sweet tuna. He is at rest, no pain, no cage to the vet fear, no collar/cone. You did the right thing mom.
I have had to have several cats euthanized over my #%}| plus years of life. Holding your baby while it's done is the best gift you could give him.
The first shot does not cause anymore pain than any. The sedative takes over so quickly that by then it's really over.

Take comfort that,as always, you were the face of love that he saw in those last seconds.

Just a note from my cat cancer experiences. Always be vigilant and exam your babies as you rub, comb and pet. Even those little bumps you might think are merely a sebaceous cyst! If you find "that lump" or cyst have the vet aspirate it with a small needle. No pain but that slide can tell a lot.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss.

We had a dog that was sedated before being put to sleep and it was horrible. He was wandering around super disoriented and was so weird for around ten minutes before calming down and falling asleep. In the future, I would much rather they went right to sleep and then were put under. In many cases where animals are very sick the sedative actually stops their heart before they can even do the second injection, so there is no guarantee of any time after they are sedated. The time that we had with our dog was definitely not good time.