My Boy Tested Fiv+

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in my boy for a check up before getting neutered and got him tested because he's always had a bit of gunky eyes that comes and goes.. I was expecting maybe he had herpes like his foster litter sibling did. But he came back FIV positive.

The vet was kind, but gave be a grim outlook because I have a multi-cat home and never had any of my other cats tested. (They never had issues so I never really thought to or got educated to.) All I could think about was that he had AIDs and the vet's words made it seem like he'd have to be put down.. and I was devastated. What about my other cats?? Would I need to loose them too???

Needless to say I was a wreck and a anxiety attack ensued. I separated him from my cats instantly and made plans before I left the vet to get my other cats tested.. But then I started doing research. Like looking up more information. And things didn't seem to dire?

This site in particular

That FIV positive and negative cats and live healthy as long as they don't fight. And that they can live happy lives jut like normal kitties, albeit with some immune issues and more sickness that can go dire.. that'll eventually kill them.

So I wanted some advice from people with FIV+ cats. Is it true? What should I do? Please tell me I don't have to put my baby boy down (or other kitties that test positive) I've scheduled an appointment next week already to test some of my cats. And will do the others after that. I have six cats in my household and the thought of having to pick and choose.. it literally wrecks me. Should I separate my infected and non infected cats from each other? (If they turn out to be negative. From my point of view I'm really scared they're all FIV+ at this point)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't edit to fix typos, but I'm sorry for the mess of a post. I just got home four hours ago from the vet finding this out and I'm still really upset and shaken up. I just need actual experienced advice or people that have/had FIV+ kitties first hand.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV is spread through deep bite wounds. Are all you cats neutered/spayed? That cuts down on fighting, since their hormones aren't raging. I've heard many successful stories of FIV and non-FIV cats living together peacefully for years. Hopefully some members will share their stories with you.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. And not all, but I'm in the process of getting them all there. He was the next in line on my list and then this happened. So having them all spayed/neutered definitely bumped up quickly on my priority list now.

I really appreciate the posts and I hope they really can. I love all of my babies and he seems so healthy and affectionate. He doesn't seem sick at all, so when the vet said he'd recommend euthanizing him my world felt like it stopped. So it's a relief knowing that I wont have to to 'spare my other cats from getting infected'. Because I honestly don't think I could do it, with him seemingly in well health aside from some light eye watering and a little gunk once in awhile.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s an article that gives some great information: Fiv In Cats

FIV is spread only through deep bites, not through activities like grooming, or sharing things like toys or waterbowls. Cats with FIV can live long, happy lives.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV is not a super huge deal. Feline Leukemia is a lot more serious. FIV isn't very contagious and infected cats can live a good long life. You'll need to keep an eye out for infection after his neuter but there shouldn't be any trouble.

Have him neutered, keep him inside, feed a high-quality food, and try to keep the home low-stress. He should be around for a long time :D.

Oh and keep an eye on his mouth. FIV+ cats commonly have dental issues and you want to catch that early.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet suggested euthanizing a cat simply because it was FIV+ I'd suggest looking for a different vet.

Cats that test positive for it can live long and healthy lives with a bit of tlc - it's important to be aware of it, but it's not a death sentence.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What everyone else said is right on point, but I just want to repeat and stress to keep an eye on his teeth/mouth/gums. Get him used to the cat carrier while he young, feed him special things in it so that going to the vet isn't traumatizing since he doesn't need the stress. Always have the vet look at his mouth really well. If the vet suggests extractions DO IT. Eventually he may have to have all his teeth removed. Don't worry about that, they can still eat just fine. I had a sweet Manx mix who had FIV and he lived a long time. I wish I knew as much then as I do now. I probably could have kept him around even longer. He was super snotty and his mouth was bad to the point where he gagged. I was a college student with no clue and a vet who wasn't very helpful and I opted to put him down instead of extracting his teeth. I hate that I did that but it was a long time ago :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was FIV+ for all her life, we found that out only when she was 16 and she had lived with another cat in the same house, swapping beds, dishes and all. A few times they had a light fight too.
My FIV+ cat was losing blood in her dishes from her mouth due to a cancer, the other cat would eat from teh same dish, the same food...
I had my other cat tested several times in the last 2 years, she is perfectly fine.
So, relax :)

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
All of you made me feel so much better. Thank you so much. Are they any specific really good nutritious foods or anything anyone can recommend maybe for him?

I worry though a little bit about his stress levels. He's so skittish and any time my cats have little squabbles he usually runs and hides. It's not too often, but my cats do squabble from time to time, though I usually break it up as soon as it happens. So I'll have to try and be more on top of that or figure out some way for them to get a long a little better.

My one male, Tickle Tummy (Caramel), is always so grumpy and is usually the one involved. He's neutered though from when we adopted him from a shelter when he was a kitten. He was the first cat though, so I just imagine he's pretty anti-social. But other then that all my cats get a long pretty well, or stay away from one another.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you've already heard it but, I wouldn't put a cat down in a home with FIV. They can have long lives and I would change vets if yours even suggested it.

For stress in the home, keep change minimal and stay on routine. Cats really do well with a predictable flow in the home and the more regular that can be the less stress they will have. A lot of members say that a pheromone diffuser like Feliway helps in multi-cat households, but it can be expensive and you have to have enough for the whole home. Other little things can help like having enough litter boxes, having cat trees or shelves to expand your space and cat beds/blankets that can help a skittish cat feel secure.

Food wise, I aim for something grain free with at least 30% protein dry or 10% protein wet. A wet diet or at least mixed wet and dry diet is typically better then a dry only diet. There are more factors but that is a very brief outline. You can check out Cat Nutrition for more specific guidelines or if you want to make a post about that subject.

Etienne1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't edit to fix typos, but I'm sorry for the mess of a post. I just got home four hours ago from the vet finding this out and I'm still really upset and shaken up. I just need actual experienced advice or people that have/had FIV+ kitties first hand.
Hi I’m a vet student and a vet nurse for 15 years. I also have a FIV cat. FIV is a retro virus it can’t be cured but can be treated as the immune system deterriorates. There are 3 stages: 1 is intial exposure which can and can not lead have symptoms. Stage 2 is asymptomatic and can go on for years with out any and 3 is essential the transition from FIV to immuno defiance syndrome which is where the immune stystem is or has failed. I think it’s important to recognize which stage your to decipher what the outcome or prognosis. It also is important of the age of the cat, card that are around 2-5 have a higher chance of going into “AIDS” then a cat that acquired it at 9, if that makes sense. Also the vaccine if your cat did receive is not very effective. If your cat has FIV and the vet said your cat has FIP as well that’s time to start thinking about euthanasia. FIP is a deadly virus that kills cats about 80% of the time and I haven’t seen cats with normal immune systems survive that ever. This all being said you have a few options. You can give your cat supportive care at home when needed. You can give tcyte which is an immunotherapy. But in the end your cats life span theoretically won’t be as long and will have complications. Sorry to sound harsh, I feel your pain on this one. My cat has been up and down for months now even on tcyte. With oral complications and very low white cell counts.

Etienne1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in my boy for a check up before getting neutered and got him tested because he's always had a bit of gunky eyes that comes and goes.. I was expecting maybe he had herpes like his foster litter sibling did. But he came back FIV positive.

The vet was kind, but gave be a grim outlook because I have a multi-cat home and never had any of my other cats tested. (They never had issues so I never really thought to or got educated to.) All I could think about was that he had AIDs and the vet's words made it seem like he'd have to be put down.. and I was devastated. What about my other cats?? Would I need to loose them too???

Needless to say I was a wreck and a anxiety attack ensued. I separated him from my cats instantly and made plans before I left the vet to get my other cats tested.. But then I started doing research. Like looking up more information. And things didn't seem to dire?

This site in particular

That FIV positive and negative cats and live healthy as long as they don't fight. And that they can live happy lives jut like normal kitties, albeit with some immune issues and more sickness that can go dire.. that'll eventually kill them.

So I wanted some advice from people with FIV+ cats. Is it true? What should I do? Please tell me I don't have to put my baby boy down (or other kitties that test positive) I've scheduled an appointment next week already to test some of my cats. And will do the others after that. I have six cats in my household and the thought of having to pick and choose.. it literally wrecks me. Should I separate my infected and non infected cats from each other? (If they turn out to be negative. From my point of view I'm really scared they're all FIV+ at this point)
If you have a list of question I can try to answer them best I can.