My best buddy hates me now

popinki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago Sunday my cat must have slipped jumping off something and sprained his right hind leg.  He is nearly 11 and a little overweight and arthritic.  After he hurt himself he hid for a while but still slept with me and followed me from room to room.  Tuesday he seemed to be really sore so I took him to an emergency vet clinic, but they had several urgent cases come in so no one was able to check him out, so I lugged him back home and he seemed fine, a little sore but not scared. 

Instead of just leaving well enough alone, I called and made an appointment with a vet for Wednesday after work.  I came home, gave him his treats to soften him up a little, and then had to put him in the carrier (which he DOES NOT like!) When I was trying to wrassle him into it I must have squeezed or leaned on his bad leg because he started screaming and yowling and couldn't/wouldn't get up off the floor for a few seconds, then took off.  He wound up under a bed so I had to reach under and grab him by the scruff, then get him into the carrier.  The vet visit was horrible; he hissed at the technician and caused a ruckus in the x-ray room, and when I finally got him home he ran right back under the bed.

He came out sometime during the night because he was on my bed when I woke up, but after that everything started going wrong.  He begs for treats and to be petted by standing up on his hind legs and putting his front paws on my leg or the kitchen cupboard.  He tried that and his bad leg buckled and he toppled over, yowling and howling and slow to get up.  Even if he was sitting within eyesight of me, and did something as minor as try to lay on his bad side, he'd growl at me and run away.  He managed to tweak the leg one night when I was sound asleep and he still growled at me.   After a few days he seemed to be recovering a little, tried to beg again, and keeled over again (yowl growl run away.)  The vet, who called to discuss some test results, said I could give him one baby aspirin every 3 days for pain but I couldn't even get close enough to him to give him a pill.

Now if he even sees me, or hears me, he runs away.  Obviously, he associates me with pain and being stuffed into the scary carrier.  So I've been avoiding him as well, not talking to him or looking for him to give him his space.  I keep his food and water dishes full and the litter box scooped out.

If anyone has any advice on how to regain his trust, or for me to regain my sanity, I'd much appreciate it.  I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and cancel that vet appointment.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think once he is better, he'll be fine. Is he on any medicine to help with the pain? He probably just hurts and is lashing out because of it.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overall you provide a lot more good things than bad, and your cat knows this. Once he's confident you're done with this all this carrier and vet visit nonsense (from his perspective-I think you made the right call, and now at least you know he's going to be ok), he'll be just fine hanging out with you again. The second week I got my cat I had to take her to the vet 4 times and she had 3 enemas! She hid from me for a week or so, but then she forgave me just fine.

In the meantime, you can try laying down on the floor and see if he'll approach you then. There's basically no way you can grab him and put him in a carrier from that position, so he might realize that and miss human contact enough that he'll come over for some safe snuggling. Have you tried sticking the aspirin in his food, on the off chance he'll gulp it down without noticing?

rachbu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
awwww.. poor thing!  Both of you!

First of all, take a deep breath!  He does not hate you!!  He's grumpy and irritable because he's hurting.  how is he feeling today?  will he let you pamper him a bit?  Does he love to be brushed, or have favorite food or treats?  Give him some love and nurture him, and he'll come around.  The more stressed you are over this, the more stressed he'll be.  Just baby him a little bit now.

Some things you can do to help an arthritic cat:

Buy raised food bowls, or put yours on a raised platform of some kind.  It's much better for their backs and puts a lot less pressure on their joints and on their stomachs, so it's good for their posture and their digestion.  I've noticed a big difference in my 13 year old, and my 17 year old appreciated it for sure.

don't make him jump up and beg for treats right now.  Just put a few on the floor near him, and let him eat them on his own

If he sleeps in the bed, get  a step or an ottoman or some kind of easy-access way for them to get to their favorite places

get soft, cozy places for them to nap around your house.  It doesn't have to be cat furniture, but just make your home hospitable for them, with plenty of places for them to snooze--hard floors are hard on their joints, especially if they start to lose muscle tone, which leads me to my final point...

PLAY with them--try to help them exercise a little bit every day.  It will keep them young :)

my tiny terror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago Sunday my cat must have slipped jumping off something and sprained his right hind leg.  He is nearly 11 and a little overweight and arthritic.  After he hurt himself he hid for a while but still slept with me and followed me from room to room.  Tuesday he seemed to be really sore so I took him to an emergency vet clinic, but they had several urgent cases come in so no one was able to check him out, so I lugged him back home and he seemed fine, a little sore but not scared. 

Instead of just leaving well enough alone, I called and made an appointment with a vet for Wednesday after work.  I came home, gave him his treats to soften him up a little, and then had to put him in the carrier (which he DOES NOT like!) When I was trying to wrassle him into it I must have squeezed or leaned on his bad leg because he started screaming and yowling and couldn't/wouldn't get up off the floor for a few seconds, then took off.  He wound up under a bed so I had to reach under and grab him by the scruff, then get him into the carrier.  The vet visit was horrible; he hissed at the technician and caused a ruckus in the x-ray room, and when I finally got him home he ran right back under the bed.

He came out sometime during the night because he was on my bed when I woke up, but after that everything started going wrong.  He begs for treats and to be petted by standing up on his hind legs and putting his front paws on my leg or the kitchen cupboard.  He tried that and his bad leg buckled and he toppled over, yowling and howling and slow to get up.  Even if he was sitting within eyesight of me, and did something as minor as try to lay on his bad side, he'd growl at me and run away.  He managed to tweak the leg one night when I was sound asleep and he still growled at me.   After a few days he seemed to be recovering a little, tried to beg again, and keeled over again (yowl growl run away.)  The vet, who called to discuss some test results, said I could give him one baby aspirin every 3 days for pain but I couldn't even get close enough to him to give him a pill.

Now if he even sees me, or hears me, he runs away.  Obviously, he associates me with pain and being stuffed into the scary carrier.  So I've been avoiding him as well, not talking to him or looking for him to give him his space.  I keep his food and water dishes full and the litter box scooped out.

If anyone has any advice on how to regain his trust, or for me to regain my sanity, I'd much appreciate it.  I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and cancel that vet appointment.
You may want to try and get aspring into his food aND when he begins to Dr better hopefully he will return to normal. I am sorry to hear that abut the cat. And I can relate with the carrier issue. Best wishes.

rachbu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the pills, I recommend Greenies pill pockets

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither of my cats are easy to pill; one is basically impossible and she also has congestive heart failure so she must be medicated twice a day. The other cat also is on 2 medications.

Only one cat likes pill pockets; but both love the soft Whisker Lickin treats!! I get the chicken & cheese flavor usually. They are soft enough that you can mold the treat right around a pill. Hopefully that would work for your kitty. Its been a literal lifesaver for us!

This is a big supplement Mooch gets but it goes right down like this!

One of Noodles' pills.

Begging. Lol She is my grumpy girl most of the time. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

popinki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone who replied for the encouragement and kind words!  Sorry it took me so long but I've been sick myself the past few days (no fair!)

The good news is that Marmalade suddenly decided I'm his friend again.  I started gently petting his head and ears when he'd come close.  He purred like crazy and started following me around the house, and I'm making sure to keep the t-r-e-a-t-s handy.  He still gets a little skittish in certain rooms but as he realizes nothing is hurting him, he's slowly getting back to normal.  I ordered a  favorite place, the kitchen counter, because that's where the "water fountain" and best bird watching window are, more easily.

He does like Whisker Lickins so I'll remember about the soft ones if I have to give him pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

popinki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ack, that should be I ordered a set of kitty stairs so he can climb up to the counter more easily. 

rachbu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwww!! YAY!! I know he'd come around!!  I'm so glad everything is back to normal!

You can just put a chair or a stool next to the counter, and only if you think it's a struggle for him to jump up.  Honestly, the elevated food dish has made the biggest difference for my guy! :)