My beautiful pregnant stray - I'm confused!

3kittys

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking Angel's boyfriend was this grey and white that was strangley hanging around for a while. Haven't seen him since!!

Cathy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I know the daddy in our case is probably her BROTHER - shock horror shock

Anyway he's a lovely black and white fluffy thing so they're bound to be gorgeous!

toprecious2b14

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Linka- Oh .. hm.. Well if he is her brother there is a possibility that one or two of the kittens might be mutated or born stillborn because the same blood types genes etc...

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i spoke to my vet about this and he said it would be Ok because, it's only first generation, breeders do it all the time which is why I guess that Siamese (THE most inbred) seem to have such a weird meow - although they are VERY cute.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by linka
i spoke to my vet about this and he said it would be Ok because, it's only first generation, breeders do it all the time...
Dear linka,

Truly, I hate to be the one to dash a bucket of cold water on the disinformation your vet gave to you but ... Responsible breeders most certainly DO NOT "do it all the time" (breed sibling to sibling). With pedigreed cats, we DO NOT want to see an inbreeding coefficiency of more than about 150 - 200. In order to keep that number at the lower end of the scale, we only LINEbreed (the correct term for the practice of breeding within the same bloodline) when we can do so with at least 4 or 5 generations between them. (Some breeders, like myself, may chose an even higher number - I breed primarily for health and longevity, so I like at least 6 to 8 gens between - but that's just me and I am picky about it.)

Originally posted by linka
which is why I guess that Siamese (THE most inbred) seem to have such a weird meow - although they are VERY cute.
*sigh* I so dislike hearing someone describe the cats I have spent my entire live loving as "the most inbred". It truly strikes a low blow at a breed which is quite intelligent, displays emotion openly and whose loyalty to the person they have chosen has been known to see them fight to the death in protection of that person. While it is true that the Siamese gene pool is indeed quite muddy at present, there are breeders out here who ARE trying to do something about it. Please believe me when I tell you that we get very little recognition and a lot less respect.

As for their voice, the raspy and often very emotional sound of a Siamese meow only adds to the aura of mystery and intrigue in my opinion. *grin*

Toprecious2b14 is entirely correct when she commented on the potential dangers of sibling-to-sibling matings. If you are relatively certain that your two cats' parents were far enough removed genetically, then I think your kittens should be alright, but please don't allow them to further breed within their line. You are asking for severe health issues if you do.

I sincerely hope you will take what I have had to say as informative and educational as opposed to inflammatory. I mean you no disrespect. I sincerely hope for the best for you and for your upcoming (and from what I am reading here today MUCH anticipated) litter! May they bring you an overabundance of joy.

Yours from the heart,

Gaye Flagg

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gaye,

I certainly DO NOT take anything you have said as inflammatory. I am a cat person and I love cats but I really know very little about breeding them or what breeders do, Misty is my first pregnant cat and all I can go on is information from other people, vets, the internet etc.

The same goes about subjects such as this. I am sorry to hear my vet has such an obvious prejudice, I am happy to admit the information I had was wrong, no problem with that. As for Siamese, I've always thought they were extremely cute and wily and intelligence wise I only know from one of my aunts who has two, and they are extremely intelligent and funny.

I'm sorry if my posting offended you in any way, but I'm glad you set me straight.

Unfortunately, the person I got my two from wasn't very responsible and they mated, but I hope the kittens will be Ok with all my heart, they certainly move around like gymnasts! Misty is due to be spayed after she delivers them, and Stevie has been booked in already to be neutered.

Peace and cat love