My beautiful and dorky longhair daughter

renaendel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know since she is a shelter cat, that it is unlikely that she is a purebreed. What sort of genetics mix do you think Ashe is. She would say she is a small dog. Her ideal is following us around the house, snuggling and drooling.

I'll try to describe and show good photos. If you need other angles let me know since I have a million and one shots of her.

Weight: The vet says her ideal weight is around 12 lbs for her bone structure. She isn't fat, literally big boned.

She kind of has race car legs? Back legs are longer than her front legs.

She has a waterproof coat on her back, totally different fur than what is on most of her body. Also very different than her under coat.

She molts? In Spring she needs do much more brushing for a while. We brush her every day normally, but come spring we have to brush her a few times a day to keep up with the fur molting.

She is a snuggler and a drooler (gums and teeth vet cleaned regularly)

Thanks for looking at my little girl

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

renaendel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meant to add that she doesn't really have those those poofy Maine Coon lips. Maybe part Siberian?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a lovely girl. All you can say for sure is that many hundreds, maybe thousands, of years ago, her ancestors almost certainly came from the Northern forests, where they naturally evolved to a larger size with that silky waterproof coat to keep them warm and dry. These are the characteristics of similar cats like the Maine Coone and the Norwegian Forest cat. The selective breeding of cats only started around 200 years ago, when people began to select cats from the wild population and bred them to get our current breeds, which are still changing to suit current tastes. Dogs all come from the wolf, and have had 60,000 years of domestication to develop into the many breeds we see today, but cats have a very different genetic history. So your girl is a long-haired domestic tabby, and her great-great-great (add several more!) grandmother probably hunted arctic hares somewhere in the far north.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, what a much grand looks!!!  What said the Nederlands judge after Amira Willighagen(spelling) 9 years, made her great solo performance:"  I too would love to have such a daugher!!! "

As a comparison breedwise, I want  to compare her to a Siberian.  Also, them too are often told as reminding in behavior of dogs...   Why not the nearest Maine Coon? I dont know for sure, just a feeling.

Google on a natural siberian,  Masha +  Obninsk.  the heroine cat and possibly a saint if I may say may private opinion.. 

I think your adopted dau she is a tortie + tabby, ie torbie, possibly patched tabby (ie calico and tabby).  Not easy to see because of her being so so longhaired, but I do interprete her coloring so.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
She looks exactly like my floey. the two layer fur could be either maine coon or Norwegian forest cat. Maine coons are muscular. Her bushy tail looks to be either maine coon or Norwegian. Norwegians have smaller faces but your cat looks to have the larger ears that are part of the Maine coon breed. She is very pretty. I have one cat who drools when you pet her. So that's pretty common-just means she trusts you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renaendel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh, Masha is a beautiful cat. It isn't a far stretch to see that they could possibly be very distant relatives. Same big heart too. In a similar story, I had an ectopic pregnancy with tubal rupture a few years ago. I collapsed in the hallway and Ashe went into protective mama cat mode. Put her teeth on my cheek (not biting) to remind me not to cry out so you know, I won't get eaten by predators while she went to get help. Then she made all the noise and started yelling out as loud as she could searching for my husband. He was already running down the stairs but I am sure in her mind she saved my life.