My baby is only 14

roxee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had many many cats in my 43 Yrs but my patches has been the best pet ever.
This last year he started losing weight. Well now he's skin and bones but he constantly cries for canned food. I can feed him a whole can and within 30 min he's crying for more. He also seems very unsettled.
Took him to the vet 6 mo ago and he said he's just getting old. I need to take him again. But in the meantime has anyone experiences this before or know anything about it??
Please help

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please see a new vet right away.  Vets who say "they're just getting old" are not committed to your senior kitty, who deserves so much better.  That he didn't even express concern about the weight loss is unacceptable.

See a new vet, opt for a complete blood profile to check his vital organ function (heart, kidneys, liver, GI tract, etc).  The voracious appetite and crying out could indicate hyperthyroidism, so consider testing his thyroid function. The weight loss is truly concerning, it could be due to hyperthyroidism, inability to absorb nutrients, diabetes, renal disease etc.  Please do not wait on this, make that appointment tomorrow, the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to treat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help. Is hypothyroidism treatable?
I guess I could look it up. The main thing is I don't want him to suffer and at this point I'm just not sure if he is or not. I don't have a lot of money and blood work is around 150$ plus office visit. I do wish bets wernt so crazy expensive:(.
I will take him wednsday. Thanku again for caring:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be diabetes which is very treatable, typically with daily insulin shots and a proper diet. Please take your cat to another vet who will run tests and get to to the bottom of your cat's illness and not give you a "cat is just old" answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do!
Thank you:)

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Roxee,

Definitely ask your vet to check for hyperthyroidism. It's actually very common in older cats and can be a cause for losing weight and being very hungry. I had a cat that was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. . It is treatable so that is good news. I just had to give my guy a pill every day and have his T4 levels checked every so often to make sure the medicine was keeping it under control. It worked very well for him. Good luck with your baby! Keep us posted.