My baby has FIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course your beloved one will need a medical diagnosis.  But I'm just hoping and praying that it's CH.  Please keep us informed. *PRAYERS* 

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He walks exactly like that and falls he nay have it.. Thank you maybe I'll take him back to the vet and ask for more testing and so on.. A different vet though, this one over here really sucks..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mofo84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I should post what I remeber happening that led to this point.

My baby princess was always a bit lazy. But when she was not she would go and be nosey and see what her humans are doing...even if they are in the bathroom haha.

She would always lay on her mamas bed. But one day she peed on it. This was like 2-3 months ago.
But it was our fault someone left the door closed and she couldn't make it to the litter box . That's what I thought maybe she was sick already?

After that her mama was worried she might pee on the bed again. So she sleept on her own little bed but then her mama wanted her back on the bed but she seemed to not wanna be on it anymore. She would go back to her little bed in the middle of the night.

Well as time went by she would be a little less active some times hide under the bed when we left. She would come out when her humans would come home.

She would become less active and stopped playing with her mama like she used to.

Her appetite would start changing she would eat less of her dry food. I thought maybe it was because I switched brands. But she almost finished the whole bag. Then she would even eat any dry food.

She still ate her wet food. But then that started changing as she would less and less. At this point she was looking skinny .

I picked her up and ask her if something is wrong with my baby. She just starred into my eyes for minutes as to tell me something is very wrong or she was saying good bye.

I took her to the vet the next day 9/7.He checks her and says her gums are pale and that she is anemic. They took blood work and did a quick ultra sound. Checked her weight 6.3 lbs . Her last weight on record a year ago was 8 lbs. She lost a lot of weight.

Vet said her liver looked a little bigger then normal. So we wait for blood results.
He calls us the next day that blood results and that Princess has a lot of problems with her blood and to come back.

So I go back he says she is jundice and explains what that means.Then another ultrasound this time he shaves her fur on her belly. He tells me if they can't find anything that he might be worried it is serious. That it might be FIP and that there is no cure for that it is fatal. At this point I start losing attention and start wondering what this crazy dude is telling me.
He wants to keep her overnight to giver her food fluids and meds.

At this point I was already syringe feeding blended wet food at home because I though it was fatty liver disease.

So we go the next day to pick up my baby at first we thought she would not be to happy with us since we left her. But she was so happy to see us.

Vet says her pee is very dark yellow and explains about the protein levels and that its not good thing.
And that I need to feed her a can of a/d a day
and give her antibiotics, steroids to suppress her immune system.
Says he will do a another test to check for cornavirus titers.

I tell him she walks a little different and if its neurological. He says she looks fine.

I go home start feeding every 3-4 hours and give her meds everyday at the specified times.

We go back for another blood test 9/12

Now he says he is pretty sure it's FIP that her titers are very high. That with her history of coming from a multicat environment and stress she had in her life before. And with the symptoms she is showing.

He tells me that he fears that her red blood cells are being attacked and her levels are dropping.
She is not gaining any weight.

I continue to give meds and syringe feed. She does not like it but she does not resist as she is a very kind kitty.

I will continue the rest later on my laptop
At home because I am on my phone typing this out.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot read the medical results as I am not a vet, but from what you describe plus what he is telling you, I am so very sorry to say it does seem as if he may be correct.  Much of what you describe correlates to what our beloved little kitten exhibited, quite suddenly, after having been healthy-seeming before.  I pray this is not the case with your Princess.  

You live very close to where we were when that happened with our kitten girl -- we were in South El Monte.  

*PRAYERS* ongoing for your beloved Princess 

sharper43

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so so so sorry that you are going through this. I lost a 4 month old kitten to FIP. I only had him a month and I was caring for him around the clock for 3 out of those 4 weeks. We actually had to have a feeding tube inserted into the side of his neck and I had to feed food, water and medications every 1-2 hours down that tube. And no matter what I did, he still wasted away before my very eyes. It's hard because the control is out of your hands with FIP. The drunk behavior is shocking to watch. I remember every single moment vividly. He went from drunk to paralyzed so quickly and the abdomen swellled with fluids overnight. No one deserves to see their cat go through this. I'm so incredibly sorry that you are experiencing this right now. I know how hard it is.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@mofo84  The team here at TCS are very sad to read that you have lost young Princess after only 11 months and while you are still missing your Zimba, and  would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.

Your update post with more of the medical information and descriptions of how things changed for her in recent months.  This must have been difficult for you, but can help others who have to face this illness with their own much loved cats.

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect, and to avoid the risk of other members posting in future who do not notice that you have had to say goodbye to your cat. We invite you to place a tribute at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge  as an enduring testimony to Princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.