My baby Bobtail!

rbg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't write when I've been sleep deprived. Ignore my first post. I was thinking of a bobcat the whole time I was reading this thread, not a bob tailed cat. Sorry!

I think I got it on my mind from the person on here who has a bobcat. How is the little guy doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fireshoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got word from the breeder that Bogey didn't make it. The vets said that the two kittens she lost both had bad hearts. She had never lost any kittens over ten weeks old before. She had gotten the mother and two other cats from a breeder who was going out of business, thinking she would get some new blood in her line. The mother had a full tail so the breeder thinks the tail gene she carried may have been somehow incompatible with the bobbed-tail gene. Both kittens that died were bobtails.

So at this point I don't know what I'm going to do. My breeder has offered to look for another breeder that has kittens, or I can wait until she has her spring litters.

I guess I'm kind of at a loss. After the kittens get so old, you don't really expect anything like this to happen.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh, poor little Bogey, may he rest in peace

maybe you could look for a bobtail rescue organization or search for one on petfinder.com

rbg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. What a hard ending for you after looking forward to bringing the little guy home.
We brought our 2 home when they were around 10 weeks and it turned out the male had distemper, unknown to anyone, and we lost him the next day. Then the female got it a couple of days later and we worked hard and saved her. One other sibling from the litter survived also, but didn't come out of it as well. So be glad you didn't have to go through that part.
I hope you find another source soon.

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You will adore him!! bobtails are the sweetest...intelligent....clown around cats!!
I have a manx <bob> and he is great!
good luck...i know you are anxious ...i had to wait 3 weeks for my himmy...and it about killed me LOL!!
Lorien

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no hon...i am so sorry!!! I didnt read the other posts and did not know poor bogey had passed...please forgive me...im so sorry...

Lorien

fireshoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support everyone. I worked all day today so it helped keep my mind off it. I think I will contact some other breeders to see if there is anything available. I've had my eye on a Burmese for awhile as well. Maybe I can get one of them now and then get an American Bobtail this fall. I've got a lot of kitty supplies and toys here, I better have somebody to use them!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by fireshoes
Thanks for the support everyone. I worked all day today so it helped keep my mind off it. I think I will contact some other breeders to see if there is anything available. I've had my eye on a Burmese for awhile as well. Maybe I can get one of them now and then get an American Bobtail this fall. I've got a lot of kitty supplies and toys here, I better have somebody to use them!
That sounds like a plan!! Hope you find a wee friend real soon.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bogey looked like such a sweet and adorable kitten, I'm so sorry to learn that he has passed away.
I think I will contact some other breeders to see if there is anything available. I've had my eye on a Burmese for awhile as well. Maybe I can get one of them now and then get an American Bobtail this fall.
If the Burmese kitten(s) is no longer available, another option is to go to your local no-kill shelter and look at the available cats and kittens there. Speaking from personal experience, I can say these cats seem to be truly grateful
when they are given a home, and you might find one that is absolutely perfect for you!
And you can always add a purebred kitten or two to your home in the near future!

gunner19

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Bogey.
I hope you can overcome the loss and find another baby.

fireshoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I started a new thread here about a new kitten I will be getting next week (hopefully). My breeder is giving him to me!