My Babies Have Had Teeth Out Today

2littlerascals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had posted a different thread about this but I can't find it .
They were due to have them removed 12 January - but they needed antibiotics before they could do the extractions .

Anyway they both went to surgery today - my little baby girl has had all her teeth removed - and her brother had four teeth removed .

They are still in the vet for observation - and they have taken a biopsy from my baby boys mouth roof of mouth that needs sending off to be tested . The vet said he is not that worried but wants to make sure it is nothing , so awaiting for that test to come back .

How will this affect my babies and how long do the gums take to heal up - I'm so worried about them .

Thank you x

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I had a veterinarian tell me not too long ago that his cat had no teeth and was perfectly able to eat kibble as well as wet food. Cats are typically incredibly resilient. Regarding the healing time your vet should be able to give you better information. Hang in there!! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at it this way, if the teeth and gums were bad enough that the one needed full mouth extractions think about how much better his mouth will feel now that all those rotten painful teeth and infected gums have been removed. What a relief for the poor kitty. You did the right thing. Even if it takes time for it all to heal, in the long run.... people tend to neglect teeth due to cost when it is so so important.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all my cats on Oratene a water additive that cuts back on the bacteria in their mouths, it is the only one my cats couldn't smell and refuse the water. Call your vet and see if he recommends it to help guard against infection and keep teeth from further deteriorating. I feel for you, this must be awfully trying.
From what I have heard, cats are very resilient with teeth extractions, and it feels SO much better than their bad teeth. They can still eat kibble, though I would start with a smaller size. You might have to start them out with wet food watered down to where they can lick it up. Tuna juice might be another choice. Cats hide pain very well, so refusal to eat might be all you have to indicate this. Make sure they have lots of clean water to drink. Set several bowls around to entice them.
They should heal quickly, feed them as they want, very soft food at first. They should be eating more in a few days. Bleeding should stop 1-2 hours after surgery, the cats should be kept warm and very calm to not promote excessive bleeding. If still bleeding 5-6 hours after surgery call your vet. A piece of gauze should be held tight to the gum if bleeding becomes heavy if at all possible.
Your little ones should come through this fine, I'll definitely keep them in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us updated!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :catlove: :catrub:
They'll be okay; this is probably worse for you than it is for them. The worst parts of it for them are that it involved (Horrors!) a vet visit, and that they aren't home with you; you'll be fixing the second one soon enough, and they'll forgive you for the first pretty quickly.

It's probably a good time to get them some paté style food for the first few days after they come home; your vet can tell you how long. Even after the gums heal they'll remain sensitive for a while (at least they do in humans, she says from experience), but after that it should be business as usual. In me, the pain from the extractions lasted for just a couple of days. A couple days after that they said I could start brushing again (with a soft toothbrush).

Your original thread is here: Both My Babies Are Having Teeth Removed 12 Jan I found it by clicking on your name, under your avatar, which got me a page with all the threads you've started.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2littlerascals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you very much everyone for you encouragement its made me feel so much better - I think you're right I'm more affected than my babies .

I'll update tomorrow when the vet rings me to pick them up :)

Thank you and God bless xx

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try offering them KMR or the equivalent until their gums have healed. Good luck. One of my favorite tom cats ended up toothless at a relatively young age. He was eating kibble within days of his extractions. Good luck!

2littlerascals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just phoned the vet and they are keeping them in again tonight as its easier to give them medication and Tinker is in a lot of pain :( i feel so cruel putting them through this . Last time they went in for blood tests they came home and Tinker had wet herself and her whole back end was wet she was wondering around the house crouched down and really dazed her brother wasn't bad he just went and ate his food.

I really feel cruel feel guilty x

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright: it's awful to think of our kitties at the vet being scared, but don't be hard on yourself for this! You're doing what you can to ensure that they live healthy, happy lives. They'll come home and will forgive you soon enough. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really feel cruel feel guilty x
Yes, I understand perfectly. But the really important word is "feel." You may feel cruel and guilty, but you aren't being cruel and have no cause for guilt. You're doing the best thing for your cats. Yes, it's traumatic, for all of you, but it's also necessary and as a responsible pet parent you're doing what is right instead of what feels right. Please bear the distinction in mind.

They'll be okay, and so will you.

Margret

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I understand perfectly. But the really important word is "feel." You may feel cruel and guilty, but you aren't being cruel and have no cause for guilt. You're doing the best thing for your cats. Yes, it's traumatic, for all of you, but it's also necessary and as a responsible pet parent you're doing what is right instead of what feels right. Please bear the distinction in mind.

They'll be okay, and so will you.

Margret
Great post

2littlerascals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you I will update tomorrow as I hope they will be home - but if the vet wants to keep them in then I'm happy with this . I would request to see them but they would want to come home we are all very close lol . One happy family x

2littlerascals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both are doing really well - they are both eating well and they are more loving than ever so was a good decision x