My Appartment And My 4 Babies.. Help..

Fracturedhip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is going to be long. Warning. Also I’m going to start off by saying I am completely aware I have put my cats in a bad situation and I take full responsibility.

So I’ll start off by saying I have 4 little angels. I love them all dearly. I can’t even imagin to get rid of a single one. I started off with toolie. She’s a rescue from the humane society, about 10 years old. She’s my baby. Very independent. Then I got my sister a surprise kitten, Dawson. At the time, we felt bad she was alone as a kitten, so the next day we bought Arya as a friend. Both are 2 now. Now. Here’s kindof the mistake. I was dating someone who insisted on getting a dog, but I didn’t think it was a good idea, so I allowed him to get a kitten. Little did we know, he was a chartreux. Now if anyone is familiar with those, they are very very playful, and will be for most of their lives. When we got him, the other cats were matured and not as playful anymore.

Now at this time, we lived in a town house with a catio, and sometimes allowed the cats to wander not too far. .
Since then, I’ve moved by myself to a 2 bedroom appartment, 8 stories up. Biggest mistake ever.

I have never felt so stressed, and such like a horrible cat mother. The cats can’t explore outside like they use to, so they howle every day for attention. They constantly beg at my feet and meow, they wake me up, and cry To be let out. My lease is up in 5 months and I’m moving to a town house again with a yard. But right now, it’s unbearable. I feel like such a terrible owner.

And not to mention, Oliver ( the chartreux) , he’s about 1 years old. The only male. Everyone’s fixed. But I think he’s trying to claim his dominance. He constantly CONSTANTLY will crawl on top of the other girls. Like he’s mounting them, but he’s not. They hate it. But it’s any chance he can get, if they enter a room, he’s on them. I constantly hear hissing and it breaks my heart. I have a spray bottle to get him, but he’s started to think it’s a game. He loves when I chase him, so when I get up to grab the bottle he will try playtag with me (he loves doing that) so I think he’s learned if he agrivates the cats, I’ll get up to “play”. All the girls just seem so bored and stressed about Oliver. One of them has also gained a significant amount of weight which I read is a sign of a bored cat.

I’ve put up cat shelves in 2 rooms, I have a catio made (although it’s small,) and cat trees. I feel like I feed them so many treats in hopes that food will keep them happy. But I’m stressing out that everyone is so sad and lonely and bored.

I knew cats were a responsibility and needed love and attention, but not nearly as much as they seem to need. They constantly meow at me for something. Even currently writing this, Oliver is harassing the cats. I feel like I’m losing hair over it.

Like I said, as soon as my lease is up, I’m gone to a better place for them. But help. I’m so overwhelmed and stressed every day. And I feel like such a bad parent who only wants the best for them....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fracturedhip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1DD0821C-D095-4808-8892-48460228812E.jpeg DAA33A9F-374D-4B8F-BCF4-21452E907BE5.jpeg 507E3444-B97A-4144-B6BD-58FFC98AA37E.jpeg 043A2061-E4A5-4216-A4F7-ADAE8168F085.jpeg B6E4C574-C8BF-429D-9857-8B1635D076D6.jpeg EC47270D-EC13-4B08-BC13-2CA1F9C232C7.jpeg 6069B140-54AA-4CC7-8F01-15F1EC6632DA.jpeg 3F6E573C-062C-41EF-95CE-1CFFB9FF65C5.jpeg Also I forgot to mention. I also feel so horrible that Oliver isn’t getting the stimulation of play with the other cats and it breaks my hearts. But here’s pictures of my babies and my appartment

Attachments

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fracturedhip Fracturedhip - I don't know much about cats, but I know a little about Humans, and it sounds to me like you're making the very best of a situation for which you weren't wholly responsible, and that you're making every effort to put the welfare of these kitties first and foremost.

Dominance issues sometimes arise in larger clowders when they're moved to a new place. Ninety-nine times out of an hundred, the cats work things out on their own. You might be surprised at how smart and how savvy they are; they make us look like unsophisticated oafs in comparison.

Frankly, it sounds like your "hip" isn't fractured at all, and I'll bet your kitties think you're pretty hip as well.

Edited after your photos went up to add that you have a beautiful Family. Welcome to TCS!

Fracturedhip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fracturedhip Fracturedhip - I don't know much about cats, but I know a little about Humans, and it sounds to me like you're making the very best of a situation for which you weren't wholly responsible, and that you're making every effort to put the welfare of these kitties first and foremost.

Dominance issues sometimes arise in larger clowders when they're moved to a new place. Ninety-nine times out of an hundred, the cats work things out on their own. You might be surprised at how smart and how savvy they are; they make us look like unsophisticated oafs in comparison.

Frankly, it sounds like your "hip" isn't fractured at all, and I'll bet your kitties think you're pretty hip as well.

Edited after your photos went up to add that you have a beautiful Family. Welcome to TCS!
Awe Thankyou :3 :3

I just can’t help feel they know I’m not doing enough :c

I also made Oliver sound like a little butt. But honestly he’s the seeetest angle ever. My baby and best littlest man <3

Uh maybe in 5 months I’ll feel better haha but that did help thankyou <3 <3

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fracturedhip Fracturedhip - You'll feel a little better every day as all five of your settle into new routines. A split with the boyfriend, a new home, extra kitties and the additional responsibilities in keeping everyone happy... what you need in Life is a little more stress!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prescribe more exercise. Get a Da Bird and play with them for 20 minutes or as long as you can manage, every day, twice a day if possible. I think that will help a lot.

Also I've noticed there's something of a bonding effect when they "hunt" the feathers together. Sure there's some bickering too, about who gets to catch it, but in the long run it seems to have a unifying effect.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have the cats figured out - cat shelves, and a catio and lots of treats!? Sounds like they are in great hands.

W Willowy had a great suggestion for more play. My suggestion is to find a cat-free zone to relax and recoup. You need to take a break from the crazy and go to a movie or get a massage where you allow yourself to not think of the cats. It will help you in the next five months and if you are calmer they will be too.

Fracturedhip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the replies guys!
I do try and play with the babies as much as I can, ill run around the apartment with a string toy making the cats jump up onto beds and couches and up the shelves to tire them out. but oliver will always bring the toy to my feet when im done with him. he's such a bundle of energy I love him. thanks guys I super appreciate the help. makes me feel so much better.