My annoying neighbour

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my neighbours keep feeding 30+ cats outside his house my cat Bacardi who's 20 I need to deflea him a yr round he keeps picking fleas up 24/7 if he goes outside I imagine there's prob quite a few strays going over to neighbours maybe even ferrel ones we live close to woods , I took Bacardi to the vets this morning as he was drooling blood nothing serious he needs done dental surgery but I asked the vet why would my cat have broken his claws on the back legs , there's quite a few stray staffs about the area and I'm worried because he's so old he might not be able to defend himself the vet said there being cut by someone only one would be doing this is this neighbour , can he do this just cut other ppls cats claws ? He knows who Bacardi belongs to and can I tell him not not ? So is this illegal to deliberately cut a neighbours cats claws when they didn't need cutting ? Thanks in advanced im so worried about letting him out now x

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is illegal but to be honest if he know full well bacardi belongs to you he shouldn't be doing this politely ask him if he knows who would be doing such a thing and if he knows whom is responsible could he please make them aware that bacardi is not a stray and does not need nor benefit having his claws cut by them. This way you are neither offending your neighbour with an accusation but are still getting your point across. It could also be that maybe Bacardi on his little jaunts is being allowed into another home and these people are giving him the nail trim. its hard to say. Does your neighbour practice TNR or is he letting these strays and ferals breed amoung themselves? I to am from the uk and we unlike you do not allow our little lady out of the house (we live near a busy road) amoungst many other reasons. I hopeyou find out who has been giving Bacardi his nail trim and get a stop put to it.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem raises a few red flags for me. One, no one has any business cutting your cats back toe-nails but you. Two, if not done properly, could be very damaging and painful. And three, it is just very weird and concerning that someone would do such a thing to someone else's cat.

It could be that this neighbot feels they are doing a good thing in feeding these strays, but may be overdoing it and not aware of this, or the consequences for other animals. I would carefully approach your neighbor (you don't want to start a war) and ask him if he was the one to cut your cat's nails, and if the case, why? Be diplomatic in showing concern rather than anger, but make it clear that you do not want him to do this again.

I would also explain to him that your cat is constantly contracting fleas as the result of the strays that come around. There might not be anything that you can do to prevent this neighbor from feeding the strays, but you can limit your cat's exposure to the situation by keeping him in, and/or take him outside on a harness and leash in your own backyard from now on. If you are met with opposition, I would get the local shelter and/or animal control involved to see if something can be done to help these cats in receiving care and finding homes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I'll do that :-) because he puts such a large amount of food down all cats go to his yard Bacardi will only approach him he doesn't like strangers and will run away from them ,out the front there's no road and Bacardi is only out for 10-20 mins at a time because of his age he mainly likes to sleep on his fav spot on my cupboard away from my other cats he hates being fussed ,I would've understood if his claws were long which they weren't but it's confusing why he'd do the back ones only and I'm scared if a staff grabbed his front he'll have no back ones to defend himself ,the vet said even tho his teeth are decayed due to age he's in gd shape for an outdoor kitty and didn't know why his back claws are clipped as the front are in gd shape which the back were to ,I think I'll ask him if he knows who did it and ask if he could tell them not to in future as his claws and health are regularly checked thanks :-) x

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has about 10 of his own cats about 7 females rest makes none are nuetured he will let them all in his home Mg son knocked his last year and asked him to let our cat out he locked him in his house x

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just let him out his window didn't say anything clearly he didn't want to be locked inside he was trying to get through his window we had suck a plague of fleas months ago I had to lock all the cats in cost me about £120 in one month ,gd thing is although all mine are nutuered my Molly if a stranger tries grabbing her she claws them so no chance of him locking her in we call her the boss lol x

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to call your local cat shelter and possibly mention to the authorities that hes been known to lock your kitties in his home. He sounds like a bit of a cat fanatic and it worries me that he is locking your kitty in his home as well as clipping claws. I assume all your cats have id tags and are chipped? I would speak to the neighbour and say that this is not what you want and you would respect him a lot more if he would leave your kittys alone and speak to him the impact of his having so many strays and not treating them for fleas ect is having on your kittys and subsiquently your finances as lets face it flea treatment does not come cheap. You may want to consider keeping your lot in side if he does not agree to this!

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give the shelter a call in morning see what they say , there all chipped and tagged but because we had Bacardi at 12 the vet advised against chipping so he's only got a tag , I have 4 cats bacardis old owner shot him in his eye and as he was moving I asked him what about the cat he was going to let the landlord find him in 2 weeks inside so I drove home which was an 8 hour trip with Bacardi running all over my car , got Molly last year as I didn't want to get one if he passed I'd have felt like I was replacing and then a neighbour said my cats just had bacardis kittens I was shocked he was 19 didn't think he had it in him lol so we had bobby and Garfield came to us his owner thought it was funny that his 2 staffs were attacking him when we first had him he his under my daughters bed for 2 months I had to feed him under there to he's great now loves his new brothers and sisters and tolerates my dogs domino and Alfie now dogs love him just as much as we do it's only Bacardi that goes out the rest seem to like chilling on the window cills watching everyone x

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my other neighbours knocked last night I asked him about my cats nails being clipped he confirmed it is this guy I live by he said he cuts everyone's cars claws, both of them are friendly he's going to tell him I don't give him consent to do that again even this guy said he's on top and said ppl have sent police there many times and they've done nothing think it's time to call the animal shelter I've heard that he now has 14 cats in a 1 bedroom flat x

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that is not healthy for him or his cats there must be very little space and it must surely smell quite bad with all the litter trays he must need. I think it may be better if you approach the neighbour who is clipping bacardi's claws yourself as he may not take it quite so seriously coming from someone else.

smurfette1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was thinking the same earlier on , I'm always changing the litter here with my 4 I can't imagine what it's like with 14 prob not fair on the cats either x