My adopted 3 month old (roughly) kitten is NOT playful at all? Sleeps constantly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckyloki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I have some tragic news..turns out my kitty had FIP after all :'( he had a temp of 105.6!!! And a enormous amount of fluid in his belly. They said the only humaine choice was to put him to sleep...I wish there was something I could've done for him, he was so young! This was a very sad day but the shelter took care of the euthanasia etc and credited me so i was able to adopt another kitty for free. So to save my iids from the heart ache I adopted a 2 month old black kitty. He is super sweet and VERY spunky so he def distracted my little ones from dwelling on my poor baby that didnt have any options left for him...so after bawling the whole ride home from vet and shelter i was able to make peace with the fact that he no longer is in pain, what a trooper he was :( so I figured id update you all, it was the worst possible outcome and just writing this is bringing tears to my eyes again...but i know there was nothing i could have done to save his life and i have to keep reminding myself of that because i feel so awful remembering his tiny face as i walked out of the room :'( R.I.P. Little fella

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry. You handled it great - don't feel bad. The little guy wouldn't have lasted much longer as FIP progresses very rapidly. So you saved the inevitable suffering.

Give your new kitty a big hug.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, so I have some tragic news..turns out my kitty had FIP after all :'( he had a temp of 105.6!!! And a enormous amount of fluid in his belly. They said the only humaine choice was to put him to sleep...I wish there was something I could've done for him, he was so young! This was a very sad day but the shelter took care of the euthanasia etc and credited me so i was able to adopt another kitty for free. So to save my iids from the heart ache I adopted a 2 month old black kitty. He is super sweet and VERY spunky so he def distracted my little ones from dwelling on my poor baby that didnt have any options left for him...so after bawling the whole ride home from vet and shelter i was able to make peace with the fact that he no longer is in pain, what a trooper he was
so I figured id update you all, it was the worst possible outcome and just writing this is bringing tears to my eyes again...but i know there was nothing i could have done to save his life and i have to keep reminding myself of that because i feel so awful remembering his tiny face as i walked out of the room :'( R.I.P. Little fella
First of all, I couldn't feel sorrier for this outcome,  FIP was in my mind, but with no other symptoms besides lack of playing, it would not have been appropriate for me to bring up, more sounding like throwing out the worst case scenario, but now as it turns out sadly, it was.

I hope you understand that there is no way of predicting FIP, it just is.............no vaccine, no indicators, nothing. Random, no cure, just a dead end. Not much worse.

On the flip side of all this, despite how hard this was for you, it didn't happen at the shelter, or without being loved and cared for, so from his point, you were his angel in disguise. You just didn't know it at the time, but you made his short little time better, comforted and cared about.

It happens to the best of us.

Now a comment on the new kitten! I LOVE that you adopted a black kitty!! Did you know that they are the least likely to be adopted and the most likely to be euthanized?

You know, it's so hard to figure why, but I have to say my personal view is this.

When I am working at my rescue's adoptions at Petco, during kitten season we have so many adorable kittens, all lined up in crates and goofing around, and I watch people to see who gets their attention.

I don't believe it's so much of the old superstition of black cats are bad luck, but more like the colorful kittens are more eye catching. People talk about this tabby's markings, or how the orange kitties are supposed to have great personalities, and so on, but what is not put out there nearly enough is what wonderful cats the black ones are, and studies have proved that black cats are the most easily adjusted in multi cat homes, they get along well with whoever basically.

So props to you for adopting this kitten!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, you made his short life and abrupt end more bearable.[emoji]128124[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128124[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

booandjack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Kudos to you for adopting a black kitty. My cat Boo is black and she is the most wonderful, easy going girl.

luckyloki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words...and I knew that fact about black kitties and i agree I think its because the tabbies can have such awesome patterns which def catches the eye!! I always liked black kitties because theyre just so sleek looking, although i have to admit, it makes it super hard to find them whent theyre hiding!! :D I will post a couple pics of him, and my 3 others who each have the most unique personalities all friendly and awesome!
So first two are the new kitty which we may name 'Spooky' seeing he's black and we got him the day before Halloween so kind of a spooky little guy..the next (if the grey tabby) is Tiki super awesome personality, loves to be held and hugged..then next (if orange and white tabby) is Charlie, wicked çuddle bug, super sweetheart!! Then the last two are of my awesome tabby Lucky, he chose my daughter as his favorite person in the house..he grabs her every night at bedtime and lures her to lay down then he hugs her face while rubbing his face on hers for like 10 minutes then snuggles with her to go to sleep...EVERY nigjt!!! Its like his bedtime ritual, ive never seen anything like it...so those are my babies, and if my house was bigger id prolly have more!!! Lol

luckyloki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok weird, they posted in opposite ways than how I uploaded them but I think you all can figure out lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your other kitten, sometimes it is not meant to be. My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers! I'm so glad however that your kitten left a legacy of love and that you were able to pass it on and adopt Spooky. All your cats are absolutely lovely, and all look so healthy and laid back (except of course that sweet little kitten, he looks a little 'ornery!
) Good luck and many happy years with your family, I wish you the best!

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The black kitten is adorable. Looks like a tiny panther. Your tabby on the tan furniture has the biggest ears I have ever seen!

luckyloki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The black kitten is adorable. Looks like a tiny panther. Your tabby on the tan furniture has the biggest ears I have ever seen!
hahahahaha!! Now that you mention it holy cow they do look huge!! But honestly I think it's the angle of the pic or something because his ears do not look like that in person or I def would've noticed lololol but wow they look like rabbit ears here !