My aching arm!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I hurt the middle of my right arm two months ago--I slept on it the wrong way for a few nights.It only hurt when reaching behind to do up clothing, or it I lifted it straight up, so it wasn't too bad. The past week, it started really hurting--all day and night. I have no idea what I did to it! I've been taking lots of Motrin (and when that wears off, boy, does the pain start up again). I use a mouse at work all day, and I am sure that made things much worse, so I haven't been here much--or at least posting much--I did check in every day, but typing and mousing really hurts! The pain actually makes my nauseous! I am feeling much better today, thanks to Motrin and a stick on heat pack (which expired 4 years ago--I forget I had them!).

So, if I don't say much, you'll know why. I am reading posts, but I'm not replyng much right now. :hellocomputer:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi margecat margecat , I know you did not specifically ask but I feel like I need to try and help. What you are describing sounds very much like you may have an "injury" to the subscapularis muscle in your rotator cuff of the shoulder. I see it all the time...I'm a physical/massage therapist.
1580698864056.png

Here is an image of the shoulder muscles.

The subscapularis the brighter colored one in the arm pit area. When this muscle is hurt or has trigger points (knots) in it, it will make raising the arm and reaching behind the back very difficult and painful.
Trigger points are little hyperactive areas in the muscle, they will feel like firm little nodules within the muscle. They have what we call referral pain patterns. And the referral pain patterns of the subscapularis is down the back of the arm, into the elbow and even down to the wrist/hand, also it can refer to the front of the shoulder.
1580699255592.png

Does what I'm describing and showing you in the pictures make any sense or click with what you are experiencing?

First, I would recommend you find a massage therapist or body worker who can do therapeutic massage to treat the rotator cuff.
It's not going to feel nice.....at all. Just a warning. But it will feel so much better in the long run.
Second, I will try to find you some pictures of stretches you can do in the mean time. I don't think describing them to you will make any sense, I can't seem to figure out how to say them without visual aids. Usually I'm showing clients as I describe and getting them to do them with me...so bare with me on those....
In the mean time, you can take a wet, yet rung out towel, and place it on the microwave until it's nice and hot, but not so much that it will burn. Place it under your arm and keep it there for 10-15 minutes. Do this a few times a day, followed by gently rubbing the area to try and loosen the muscles.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So with this one, your injured arm is the bottom arm. Keep it relaxed as you hold the towel and use the top arm to slowly pull the towel up. It will help stretch the internal rotators. If your top arm does not have to mobility either to reach like that, you can also, drape the top part of the towel over your shoulder, and pull down in front of you. Your shoulder will basically act like the pulley and the bottom of the towel will still go up.
1580737325060.png

This one can help open up the shoulder by gently relaxing all the muscles. The picture does not show this, but you can hold a soup can or small weight in your hand to get a nice traction on your shoulder. You bend forward, keep your arm relaxed and swing it in a circular motion. You want to feel it stretching in the shoulder.
1580737442350.png

I think these ones are pretty self explanatory as for how to stretch, but I did want too add that you are keeping the injured arm relaxed on the table and using your body to stretch by bending and letting the arm slide away from you. If you need a bit of a deeper stretch than in the picture, just back your chair away from the table so you can bend further down.
1580737830501.png
1580737847713.png

Do these stretches 3 times a day, 3-5 times each session, (on both arms to balance yourself) holding each stretch for 30 seconds. If they cause pain then stop doing them. There is a difference between some discomfort stretching (normal) and actual pain (not normal), so just listen to your body...you don't want to push too hard. So try these out and see if you get any relief...
If not, feel free to give me more details about your injury so I can try to help.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a doctor, therapist or qualified to give medical advice to this nature.

I have had shoulder injuries and two operations. From my perspective it sounds like a possible shoulder issue.

I think Jems advice is sound and likely what I would initially do. If it doesn't improve after a few weeks of the stretches, I would seek medical advice.

You have my sympathies, it hurts and its worrisome. The good news is many shoulder issues can be fixed or controlled with stretching, strengthing, massage and heat/ice, rest.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I say see a doctor. You sometimes can do something small and end up with a big injury. I once partially dislocated my elbow just by reaching over and setting a heavy box very gently on the ground.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if it's in your shoulder or wrist. I just want to say to be careful taking Motrin. Prolonged exposure to NSAIDS can cause kidney damage. You don't want that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
thanks for the adivices, tec, i appreciate it, but it's not my shoulder, it's center of the top of my arm, aboiut a 4 inch band across the top. was getting much better esp. today, notw it hurts so much. been massing, strtching, heta, muscle rub ace bandage. took it off, dh wont be home til midnight, hard to wrap myself, but did,