My 9 year old cat leo looks fat but is really active, should i worry?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat can be overweight even though active. If he's overeating, he may not be burning it off regardless of activity.
He does look pudgy to me. How old is he? When was the last time he saw a vet for a check up?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 year old cat who's extremely active. He runs around like a kitten nonstop and yet he's at least 3 pounds overweight. He eats a lot and I think just naturally has a slower metabolism. Do you know the weight of your cat? If you don't you can weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding him and subtract the difference.

You can use this below for reference. I took it from abyeb abyeb and the thread I want to feed my grown 9.7 lb 2 year old male indoor cat enough without overfeeding .

1577827342445.png

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mean if he’s fat he’s fat, he could be strong and exercise regularly but still be eating too much food! It’s good that he’s active but if he’s carrying extra weight it can be hard on the joints or lead to complications like diabetes.
Take a look at a feline body condition chart and compare it to your cat looking at him from overhead when he’s standing. It may just be a matter of decreasing his food intake by a little bit, but you’ll probably want to talk to your vet first. It can be bad if cats lose weight too quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leothehandsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat can be overweight even though active. If he's overeating, he may not be burning it off regardless of activity.
He does look pudgy to me. How old is he? When was the last time he saw a vet for a check up?
Well i haven't taken him to a vet since 1 year ago but he's been fat since he was 5, now he is almost an 10 year old male,i don't think i should worry too much since he's lived his life as a dominant cat, he's pretty healthy since hes almost never sick. He's bulky for a cat so theres no way he could be bullied by other cats .