My 9-day old kitten isn't gaining weight

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great. I believe he will benefit soon from this.

So he should poop once or twice a day, but sometimes they will skip a half a day to a day, but that may be caused by constipation. If he skips a day or so, it's not life threatening, but the norm is at least once daily.

By the way, I know it sounds gross but is nature, when mom cleans/stimulates and he goes, she will eat it at his young age so you might not be aware that he did poop.

Mom is 5, has she had litters before?

At her age it is highly recommended she get spayed. The older she gets without spaying the more dangers that can come from her lack of spay.

Will you please consider this?

Having a small litter and 2 being stillborn is a great indicator that she should def. not have anymore.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mienati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found baby had blood spot and mucous in his pee last night, rushed him to the vet. Vet said he may have urinary tract infection and thats why he has spontaneous urination... he has to take antibiotics twice a day for five days.... poor baby =(

The positive side is he put on 10grams yesterday and he has good appetite... hope he will get well soon.

Yes, will definitely get mom spayed when baby no longer needs her milk. She had two litters before, both ended up tragedy... so practically mama is a new mom. She eats a bit more these two days, she has kitten food and i cook her some sardines and let her drink the soup as well. She only nurses one baby, but still doesnt have enough milk...

Last edited:

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She might not have enough milk because she only has one baby - milk is supply & demand - and you can get stuck that you feed the baby because he's not growing so he doesn't suckle so she has even less milk.  Suprised you didn't spay her after the first tragic litter.  Before would have been even better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mienati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth to her first litter under the quilt on my bed when no one was home, the babies died either because of suffocation or hypothermia... when i came home, it was too late =(

Baby gained another 20 grams yesterday, hope he will keep on doing well and stay healthy.

Thank you again you all for your kind advice and suggestions =)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
20 grams, woohoo! Now that is progress! Awesome. On the right road.

Should be close to 2 weeks now yes? I adore how cute they are once their eyes open, they take on a whole new look, so sweet.