My 8yo male neutered cat has just started spraying in the house!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, unfortunately the cat peed on my bed right before his exam so no urine. But he gave him an antibiotic and a shot of ascorbic acid, just in case. But his bloodwork, with the exception of the triglycerides, was normal. No sign of infection.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, unfortunately the cat peed on my bed right before his exam so no urine. But he gave him an antibiotic and a shot of ascorbic acid, just in case. But his bloodwork, with the exception of the triglycerides, was normal. No sign of infection.
It's interesting.

While I've heard of bloodwork being able to indicate infection (such as higher WBC), I've never heard of a cat having a urinary infection ruled out with bloodwork before.

But like you said, your vet took precautions anyways so if that was contributing, it should be lessened.

Maybe these resources could give you a better idea.

I know you're insistent that the dog would also react to any creature making a home in yours, but you might also consider a free consultation with pest control to be safe.

The resources below might also give some more brainstorming.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the good news is I know what the cat has been reacting to, but the bad news is its rats in my crawlspace! Since I live in an attached townhouse, it's not just my crawlspace, it's also my neighbors'. Ugh.

But at least one problem solved!

Also, got the triglyceride numbers from the vet--496, which IS scary high (normal cat should be in the ~100 range). Cholesterol overall is a little high (about 250). Vet said fasting wouldn't make any difference.

So I've found two really low fat cat foods that I will willingly feed my fur babies, that are the same amount of fat as the prescription diets without any of the crap added--Stella and Chewy's savory shreds has 9% fat on a dry matter basis, and Weruva Cats in the Kitchen chicken and duck, which has about 9.5% fat (and that's my go to for when they got finicky about the raw they usually happily eat).

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is Oh, my goodness, I did not see that coming! Either that's.

Don't use the sticky traps, they don't kill just torture. And watch out if you or someone else is using poison. Poison can slow a rat down so that a cat who couldn't normally catch it can. If anyone is using rat poison you need to find out what the brand is and get a list of the ingredients to have on hand in case your guy catches one of them. Better to be ready before it happens than after. They used to use the same poison in all rat poisons and the vet has the antidote, but they use several different ones now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, so I was close. I'd almost rather it have been mice, than rats! And yes, PLEASE stay away from those sticky traps! I've seen poor mice gnaw their feet off, trying to get free from them. Do follow K Kflowers ' advice on poisons.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These are what we used and we would relocate away from our home.

Poison can not just effect companion animals but also owls, hawks and other animals that way the rats/mice.

It works best if you can block their ways in first. I would release them into an area on the property where they felt they could hide so they wouldn't return to my home.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09B2JG721/?tag=

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reopening this thread with updates.

We got rid of the rats but he is continuing to spray. Does it at least once a day. I’m at my wits end. When I think back he started spraying when we moved into our current house about 18 months ago, and it’s just kept getting worse. I’ve got a feliway diffuser in every room now (up from just one per floor), which don’t seem to be having an effect. He gets calming treats twice a day, also no effect. After I clean up the spray (with natures miracle) I spray feliway in the same area. He just finds a new spot to spray. Today he literally followed me upstairs when I got home from work and sprayed against the wall right next to me.

I’m starting to think I can’t make him happy here and may have to rehome him, which breaks my heart 😥

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken a black light and looked around the outside of the house to see if another cat is spraying the outside? Our neighbor's neutered male got our front and back door and under several windows every day. Turned out he sprayed most of the houses in the block, every day. This made our neutered boy spray by the doors, down the heat vent by one window and at one enclosed corner of the living room.
Once you locate the spray spots outside you can clean them with the enzyme cleaner. You can spray over them with white vinegar, which some say mimic's the scent of a cat to the one that's marking your house. Or you can set up the motion activated things (Jackson Galaxy talks about) that will blast the stranger cat with air and discourage him. I never tried those, they might work.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be habit now which may be habit now which can be harder to break.

Is there a room in the home you can start him off in and try to reintroduce him to the house? Make him a base camp, play some cat calming music and slowly reopen things up to him.

My second thought is going back to litter boxes. I know most people think, it's behavioural changing things with the litter won't help but actually it usually does.

Knowing what type of litter you're using, what type of box you're using and the number of boxes is important for helping with behavioural issues.

Some general ideas:
- some cats like covered and some cats hate covered, having at least 1 of each helps to make that determination.

- some cats don't like the type of litter being used. He's gotten used to peeing around the house where he doesn't HAVE to touch the litter. So he might not want to go back to it. Trying a different type of litter in a spare box, temporary box, whatever can be helpful

- amount of litter: some cats won't tolerate a large amount of litter in the box as they don't like the slipping feeling (like stepping on sand) that it creates. Try less litter in the box.

Lastly: you said he's a nervous cat. So building confidence may be key. The more nervous the cat, the more spraying he will do. It helps him to feel secure and build territory. I would assess how "catified" your house is. What kind of scent soakers does he have to make use of? Also take a cloth and rub it on his cheeks and then rub it all over the house. Do the spots he sprays last. He needs his smell there.

How to Boost Your Cats Confidence - All About Purrs

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the spraying stop when the rats were gone? If it was a big enough infestation (and I am in no way saying that you were negligent about the problem), there might still be a rat odor that the cat can smell.

I also agree about other disturbances outside which may be very hard to spot.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you taken a black light and looked around the outside of the house to see if another cat is spraying the outside? Our neighbor's neutered male got our front and back door and under several windows every day. Turned out he sprayed most of the houses in the block, every day. This made our neutered boy spray by the doors, down the heat vent by one window and at one enclosed corner of the living room.
Once you locate the spray spots outside you can clean them with the enzyme cleaner. You can spray over them with white vinegar, which some say mimic's the scent of a cat to the one that's marking your house. Or you can set up the motion activated things (Jackson Galaxy talks about) that will blast the stranger cat with air and discourage him. I never tried those, they might work.
Yes, no evidence of other animals outside.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the spraying stop when the rats were gone? If it was a big enough infestation (and I am in no way saying that you were negligent about the problem), there might still be a rat odor that the cat can smell.

I also agree about other disturbances outside which may be very hard to spot.
No,spraying didn’t stop.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be habit now which may be habit now which can be harder to break.

Is there a room in the home you can start him off in and try to reintroduce him to the house? Make him a base camp, play some cat calming music and slowly reopen things up to him.

My second thought is going back to litter boxes. I know most people think, it's behavioural changing things with the litter won't help but actually it usually does.

Knowing what type of litter you're using, what type of box you're using and the number of boxes is important for helping with behavioural issues.

Some general ideas:
- some cats like covered and some cats hate covered, having at least 1 of each helps to make that determination.

- some cats don't like the type of litter being used. He's gotten used to peeing around the house where he doesn't HAVE to touch the litter. So he might not want to go back to it. Trying a different type of litter in a spare box, temporary box, whatever can be helpful

- amount of litter: some cats won't tolerate a large amount of litter in the box as they don't like the slipping feeling (like stepping on sand) that it creates. Try less litter in the box.

Lastly: you said he's a nervous cat. So building confidence may be key. The more nervous the cat, the more spraying he will do. It helps him to feel secure and build territory. I would assess how "catified" your house is. What kind of scent soakers does he have to make use of? Also take a cloth and rub it on his cheeks and then rub it all over the house. Do the spots he sprays last. He needs his smell there.

How to Boost Your Cats Confidence - All About Purrs

These are interesting ideas. but he’s definitely spraying not peeing.

I have 2 modkat xl litter boxes that I have set up for front entry. I keep the tops off. I’ve used worlds best cat litter for years. He definitely uses the boxes (I’ve seen him)

I have lots of cat beds and perches and he generally has always preferred perches over beds.

im a little wary of isolating him in a room because he’s very social and may be very unhappy if I do that.

but I will try the rubbing, great idea. he rubs against corners but that’s not where he sprays

Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These are interesting ideas. but he’s definitely spraying not peeing.

I have 2 modkat xl litter boxes that I have set up for front entry. I keep the tops off. I’ve used worlds best cat litter for years. He definitely uses the boxes (I’ve seen him)

I have lots of cat beds and perches and he generally has always preferred perches over beds.

im a little wary of isolating him in a room because he’s very social and may be very unhappy if I do that.

but I will try the rubbing, great idea. he rubs against corners but that’s not where he sprays

Thanks!
You could alternatively try contacting your vet and getting information for a behaviorist. He's not likely to be easily rehomed if he's spraying. Spraying and urinary issues are #1 cause of rehoming in cats and #1 reason to not be adopted...the risk would be he may be PTS.

Spraying is usually a confidence issue. He needs confidence in himself and confidence in his territory for it to end. The rats shook his confidence, but moving may have as well.

You can make a temporary litter with a box and bag. Putting one on his main spray spot is worth a try. You may be able to slowly move it later.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could alternatively try contacting your vet and getting information for a behaviorist. He's not likely to be easily rehomed if he's spraying. Spraying and urinary issues are #1 cause of rehoming in cats and #1 reason to not be adopted...the risk would be he may be PTS.

Spraying is usually a confidence issue. He needs confidence in himself and confidence in his territory for it to end. The rats shook his confidence, but moving may have as well.

You can make a temporary litter with a box and bag. Putting one on his main spray spot is worth a try. You may be able to slowly move it later.
Thanks. Good suggestions. I’m feeling a little more hopeful. I definitely don’t want to give him up or give up on him!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I sprained my ankle, I had to stop playing with my cat Maggie for 6 months. She became jealous of my cat Coco always sitting on my lap and rubbing her face all over me. Now she will only eat if I'm with her. My cat peaches uses the litter box in my bedroom and living room when I'm there so putting it in locations where you are the most would help. Cats usually like to cover their pee so he may need a bigger box twice the cats length and 3inches deep. I use cut storage bins. He needs lots of tlc so get some wand toys my lap cat loves to be brushed. A cats hearing exceeds a dogs or humans so if he sprays at night it may be from an animal outside,even a mouse

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I sprained my ankle, I had to stop playing with my cat Maggie for 6 months. She became jealous of my cat Coco always sitting on my lap and rubbing her face all over me. Now she will only eat if I'm with her. My cat peaches uses the litter box in my bedroom and living room when I'm there so putting it in locations where you are the most would help. Cats usually like to cover their pee so he may need a bigger box twice the cats length and 3inches deep. I use cut storage bins. He needs lots of tlc so get some wand toys my lap cat loves to be brushed. A cats hearing exceeds a dogs or humans so if he sprays at night it may be from an animal outside,even a mouse
Thanks. I try to give him as much love as I can or he will let me. I’m often thwarted by my other cat who is the alpha in their relationship or my dog, who is a jealous of anyone taking my attention away from him. But Gino is also skittish and doesn’t always like to be touched so it’s a balancing act. But I hear you and will try to give him as much love as he will let me give (he’s actually on my lap right now purring away.I love it)

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes thank goodness. I consulted a cat behaviorist who determined it was happy spraying. He seems to be suffering from separation anxiety and was spraying in happy situations.
We have started behavior modification, and he hasn’t sprayed in a few weeks now.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A vet visit is for sure in order. I have a LOT of experience with spraying throughout my whole life and this is the only thing I have actually found that removes the smell and actually cleans up urine to even the cats! It is expensive, but I was at my wits end and a friend kept telling me to try it. One of our cats scare peed on the new carpet and I used this to clean it. It took two treatments, but after the second treatment none of the cats would stop to smell it every time. I did a third treatment just to be safe. I swear to you this is the only thing I will ever buy to clean up cat pee again. I have no affiliation with the company and recieve nothing for this recommendation.