My 8 year old Cat is pooping outside her box

cinagc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...

My 8 year old cat sometimes poops outside her box.  I got her a new litter box and unscented litter (petco litter)  and sprinkled it with "attract cat".  Once I caught her with her butt over the side pooping outside the box.  I clean her box everyday and sometimes there is nothing in the litter box.  She did have an ruptured anal glan several months back, but the vet had her on antibiotics and it cleared it up.  This issue started before her anal glan issue and she has had her physical since and the vet said she is in good health.   What is my next step... a bigger litter box or have vet run more tests?  Any advise you can give will be appreciated. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet says she is in good health than I would suggest using a plastic tote with very high sides for a litter box. You can cut a hole in the front for her to get in and out. With 2 foot sides she won't be able to go over the edge !

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she only poop over the edge or does she go in other places too?  I think the higher-sided box is a good option for you.  Also be sure to use a good cleaner where her messes are.  If they can smell it (even if we can't) they sometimes go back.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinagc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always right in front of the litter box or just a few inches to the left.  I used to keep a towel there but have since removed it and it didn't make a difference.  The box is hooded and it doesn't mater if I have the hood on or off.