My 7 month Ragdoll kitten has gone wild since we have been going for walks

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 7-month Ragdoll kittens - a girl and a boy. The girl is very curious, vocal and a bit feisty. Her brother is the complete opposite - relaxed, gentle and a bit lazy. Though the breeder never let them out, ever since they got to my house about 2 1/2 months ago, Mimi, has showed lots of interest in trying to get out. She was actually successful a couple of times, and would actually howl at the door as if she was in heat, she was so desperate to get out (she's fixed).

So I thought it would be a nice experience to take them for walks.  Several people on this site told me that when they did this with their kitty, they calmed down.

I decided that it might be nicer for them to hang out in a grassy area where they can chase small grasshoppers and the like rather than going on a straight walk, which is what we did in the beginning. 

While it seemed pleasant enough at first, she seems to have become crazed. She LOVES the outside, so when it is time to come back inside (after 45 minutes or more) to eat dinner, she is NOT happy. Two days ago, she bit me when I tried to pick her up to bring her in. She has never done that except when she plays - and this was no play, she was angry.

Today, she hissed at me twice when I picked her up to go inside after she protested and refused to move towards going inside on her own. This, too, is a first,. Then after dinner, she became crazed and started running all over the house jumping on furniture, howling to get out again, etc. She  even attacked her brother who was only trying to share a step stool with her.

I am very concerned about this behaviour. I thought she would calm down by letting her out as it has become something of a ritual in the evening. But instead, she has become more crazed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put in a catio w/a cat flap so she can go in and out when she wants.
[article="29670"]Cat Enclosures  [/article][article="29643"]Building A Cat Enclosure  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is potentially a good idea but I only have a patio on the 2nd floor, which she already goes out to - it is netted. To get to the grassy area of the apartment complex, we have to actually go for a walk. :(

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then I recommend patience.  Do you have a set time when you take the cats out and do you take them out everyday?  A routine may help and the she should calm down a little after the newness wears off.