My 6yo Is Acting Very Weird.. Please Help!!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neighbor’s cat adopted me nearly 5 months ago and she has been living inside for about 2 of those. She has a pretty consistent routine that she follows but she’s been acting very strange since last night. She is kept in separate rooms from the dogs for right now, which will cause her to get lonely so sometimes she’ll cry at the door leading into the rest of the house. Last night, she was crying for me and I went in there to watch tv with her. Almost every night, we cuddle and watch tv on the couch and fall asleep then sometime in the middle of the night when I wake up, I’ll quietly get up and go to my bedroom. About once a week my sister will hang out with her in there instead.

So last night, even once I went in there, she was still crying. I tried to play with her, she wouldn’t play. I tried to get her to come cuddle, she wouldn’t cuddle. I put out food and she ate some of it but then went back to pacing and meowing. Finally, around 1:30am, she climbed up on my lap and went to sleep.

Every morning, much to my dismay, she eats then goes outside to play. I’m not thrilled about her going out but she is an adult and it’s going to take time to get her used to being an indoor kitty so I let her out in the late morning when kids are at school, teenagers with cars are at school, most people are at work, drunks who drive drunk are usually home sleeping it off, and raccoons and other predators are usually sleeping.

She wouldn’t go out this morning. She walked out then came back in and it’s gorgeous outside. She spent most of the morning laying on one of her favorite bed and staring outside. She played a little but not like she usually does. Then before she hid under the couch. She was just sitting in the window in the sun but when I walked over she jumped down and onto her activity tree and she’s just being very strange. What do I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I'm not a vet but it certainly sounds like something outside is smelling bad and scaring her, or something actually attacked her and scared her, it could be a wild animal, new neighbors dog or cat.
Is she spayed? Is she still eating, drinking and using the litterbox as usual? When is the last time she was at the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I'm not a vet but it certainly sounds like something outside is smelling bad and scaring her, or something actually attacked her and scared her, it could be a wild animal, new neighbors dog or cat.
Is she spayed? Is she still eating, drinking and using the litterbox as usual? When is the last time she was at the vet?
She is spayed. She went number 1 overnight or early this morning and she went 2 sometime today. She ate today as much as she normally does. She just seems very off. We know how our fur babies act and I can tell you she’s not right. One of the rooms she’s allowed in is a heated garage that has all her toys and a couch and tv. I left the garage door open half way Incase she decided to go out but she won’t go out. That actually makes a lot of sense because she rarely stares out the window and she did today and she didn’t go outside today. She only walked out a little bit when I was right there and now she’s staring outside while laying on her bed that’s high up off the floor. I’m going to close the door and see if she’ll sit with me. If she was attacked, I’m sure laying by mommy will make her feel much safer.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And unfortunately I don’t know when she’s last been to the vet. I brought her 3-4 months ago and they refused to treat her bc I’m not the owner on her microchip, as she was my neighbor’s cat. I want to text my neighbor and ask her for her medical records so I could bring her to the vet but I’m so scared she will get annoyed and try to take her cat back. She doesn’t seem to mind that she lives here now but I’m just nervous I may push it and she’ll demand for her back. I know I need to take her so I think I’m going to just ask. But she’s eating and using the restroom so I don’t know if it’s a physical thing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
So, the neighbor knows the cat is with you? You could just mention about updating the chip to your address, and make a big point that you're wanting to be able to take care of health problems, for the cat's benefit. Best of luck!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, the neighbor knows the cat is with you? You could just mention about updating the chip to your address, and make a big point that you're wanting to be able to take care of health problems, for the cat's benefit. Best of luck!
Oh yeah she texts me when she goes over to her house to visit. I don’t think she minded us taking her bc when she started coming over she was in pretty bad shape but I don’t want to push my luck but that’s a whole other problem in itself! I think you’re absolutely right about her being attacked or in some type of altercation. Thank you so much for the help!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, one other thought, if you haven't already try and check her all over really close, especially on the tummy and around the neck for any bite wounds. If you find any, that could help make a case to your neighbor for changing the chip info, as a bite could possibly get infected, or maybe you could try having her call the vet and telling them she is giving permission for you to bring the cat in/for them to treat the cat, or you could try and get her to go in to the vet with you .... something like that. Hang in there!! :vibes: :redheartpump::goodluck::heartshape:

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, one other thought, if you haven't already try and check her all over really close, especially on the tummy and around the neck for any bite wounds. If you find any, that could help make a case to your neighbor for changing the chip info, as a bite could possibly get infected, or maybe you could try having her call the vet and telling them she is giving permission for you to bring the cat in/for them to treat the cat, or you could try and get her to go in to the vet with you .... something like that. Hang in there!! :vibes: :redheartpump::goodluck::heartshape:
That’s a great idea. I’m about to lay down with her to nap so I’ll try to check her now. And that would be the perfect excuse to get her chipped changed or at the very least get me her permission to bring her to the vet. Thanks!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You were 100% correct! She still won’t go outside and she’s not crying anymore but she’s needier than usual. She’s playing like she used to again but she is too scared to be alone so she has been sneaking into my dad’s room at night and sleeping with him. Luckily, there’s a door leading into his room from the sitting room which is one of the rooms she has free roam of with no dogs. Thank you so much for your help because I really couldn’t figure it out. I appreciate your fast response so much!!