my 6 month old cat has gotten really aggressive

naturegirl9628

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have had him since he was 10 weeks old. he was a stray and when i found him he was barley alive. i kept him and nursed him back to health. He is pretty plump now and very happy, there is only one problem, he is very aggressive and scared, When i go to pet him he runs off and hides, he some times even hisses and goes to bite me. i don't know why because when he was little i was always holding him, and i never did anything to hurt him. He also goes after my other cats. i have not yet gotten him fixed but i am planing on doing it very soon. once i get him fixed will he calm down? or would he be better off being a barn cat?  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think part/most of the problem may be due to your boy not being neutered yet. once he's neutered he'll calm down more. it will take some time for the hormones to work their way out of his system, but they will.

how old is kitty now?

is your boy an indoors only cat now? if he has no experience with being outside, he may very well not be able to cope with being a barn cat. he might do better in an only cat home, where he's the only cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturegirl9628

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he is six months now and yes he is an indoor cat he has not been outside since i found him.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regardless of your choice (indoor or barn cat), he should still be neutered. In other words, if you choose barn cat, being intact is NOT an advantage in his "job." It would distract him FROM it. (More energy fighting other cats than hunting prey.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturegirl9628

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh yeah no matter what i am getting him neutered, because there are a lot of  female cats around.