My 5 year old is sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she is in kindergarden.
She is a hugger. The teacher insists on hand washing several times a day. Right now everywhere I go people are sick. There are so many bugs going around. The doctor also thinks it has alot to do with her immune system. She was a premie 2 1/2 lbs at birth. My 18 year old was also a premie 2lbs. we went through this with her until she was about 12.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Sorry I had to laugh I was imagining her at the vets office!
:
I thought the same thing too at first!
Sorry, it made me laugh all over again!

Sounds like you have years to go with Raina catching all sorts of bugs
Short of making your kids wear gloves and doctor masks all day, there's not much you can do but make them wash their hands constantly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

The WORST part, though, and what was keeping many of the kids sick that year, was the music teacher's bowl of jellybeans. After each class, she let each student (she taught the entire school) dig for their favorite color of jellybean. All the little unwashed hands handled all the jellybeans!
EWWW!

I never shared food, drinks, hugged on others, or anything like that. I still remember my mother being offended when I refused to let her have a sip of my drink when I was 3. I have no idea where I learned this, but by the time I went in to kindergarten I understood a lot about bacteria and viruses (ok, maybe I learned it from reading whatever book I came across at home
).

I remember in grade school when they wanted us to all pile our coats in the back of the room or hang them together in a small closet. I refused, kept my coat on the back of my chair, and thus didn't end up with head lice every time all the other kids had them.

I suggest that parents sit down and explain "germs", instead of just telling a kid they need to wash their hands or just saying not to share food.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DD is also named Raina.
I hope your baby girl is feeling better soon, poor little thing. Loads of healing vibes coming her way.