My 5 Month Old Kitten Is Very Ill And Vets Have No Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ann Loves Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for everything that you're going through with Arlo (adorable name!).

I just found your thread, but have been dealing with a similar situation with a 12 week old kitten. She had her first vaccine (Purevax non-adjuvanted FVRCP) last Thursday (8/23). On Monday (8/27) she started acting lethargic and had a swollen lymph node. She went back to the vet on Tuesday (8/28) - they decided that it must just be her "processing" her vaccine, They gave her Metacam (without asking me first, or telling me that it would be off label and not approved for use in cats) and sent her home. She perked up a tiny bit, but then went right back to being lethargic. She was still eating well, but would do nothing else but sleep - it certainly wasn't normal, especially for her.

I too her back into the vet on Friday (8/31) because she was still acting like a vegetable and asked them to do bloodwork. They decided that she likely had an infection of some sort (without seeing the results of the CBC yet) and gave her another dose of Metacam and sent azithromycin and more Metacam home with me to give her. I was to give her Metacam once per day for 4 more days, and azithromycin once per day for 5 days. I gave her the first dose of azithromycin (they had already given her Metacam at the vet) at 5:00pm on Friday - by 6:00pm she was having trouble walking and her legs were almost "seizing" or spasming to the point that she couldn't control them.

She went straight to the ER vet - they said no more Metacam or azithromycin, and didn't feel that there was any evidence to indicate the need for an antibiotic - if she did have an infection, it was likely viral. The strange part, is that all of her bloodwork is completely normal - organs all functioning well, and blood work all normal - no anemia, elevated WBC's, etc.

They started her on IV fluids to "flush her system" and to help with a fever that she had. The fever is coming down now, and she hasn't had any more episodes of ataxia or leg spasms, so they are hopeful that she can come home tomorrow.

I just wanted to share Lilly's story since the symptoms and meds seem to be similar in both of our cases - though Lilly's aren't as severe as Arlo's. I'll be thinking of your little guy, and sending healing thoughts to you both. I hope to see a happy update on him!
Thank you so very much. We appreciate everyone's prayers. Hopefully the cat vet will find out what is making him so ill. He's been on fluids for two weeks straight now. Hopefully he can hand in there a bit longer.

Ann Loves Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ann Loves Cats Ann Loves Cats ,
Did your vet run a FULL blood panel, including the electrolytes.
Was any of them out of the range?

When my cat was wobbly, weak, not pooping, not herself, etc, she had low potassium.

Could you post your last blood panel result?
We are actually going to a feline only vet on Tuesday. He is going to run all the test he has and also what my vet has done. Arlo doesn't seem to be doing very well tonight so we are just praying that he hangs in there till Tuesday. I do not want to take him to the ER because they will just put him down.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just came upon this thread, and simply wanted to send you my prayers.
Hang in there little Arlo, we're pulling for you!:heartshape::grouphug:

Ann Loves Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately our little Arlo has passed this afternoon. He got worse this morning and wouldn't open his mouth. His breathing and heart rate got really slow and he finally let go around 3pm today. Thank you for all your support. He is now a angel in heaven.
❣❣ We will miss the little guy

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. May Little Arlo rest in peace. I'm sure he felt the love and affection you gave him in his short life, and enjoying the wonders that Heaven has for him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP Arlo baby sweetheart.
You didn't have much time here, but you now have all of your beauty, joy and grace returned to you.
:rbheart:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site team, we are very sorry for your loss. After such a loss threads are closed as a sign of respect. Please do consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum as a tribute to your friend.

Rest in peace, Arlo. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.