My 4-year old cat has started peeing on our carpet....helpful advice needed!!

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI,

When I first got this cat, she was doing the same thing. Once the rug was cleaned and we put up a gate to keep her out of the one bedroom where she was doing it, that ended that. Now, here we are several years later and the problem has re-emerged in a different bedroom. Here is the key, I think - over the past few months I switched to a different litter on a recommendation from my vet that we try something a bit less coarse since there are minor worn areas on her back feet. The thinking was that the milder litter (I switched to "World's Best") would help. It did nothng for her feet, nor have they gotten any worse. It is simply a small area where there is no hair in the heel area. From what I've read around forums, it's not an uncommon problem and no big deal.

So...back to the urine issue. This "World's best", in my opinion, is just the opposite. When I empty out the boxes, the ammonia smell is enough to gag you. And then this fine dust comes up (it's supposed to be dust and odor free ?!?!?!? I would not recommend this litter to anyone. So I am HOPING that this is the cause of the problem. Prior to introducing 'world's best', I was using "Cat's Pride - natural" which I like so much better. Very little odor. When I clean out the box from World's Best, you have these big clumps of urine but then they break up as you're taking them out, so unless you really scoop out alot, the soiled stuff is still mixed in . When I clean it out and refresh with more clean litter, you still have a smell. That can't be right.

The cat had NO urine problems all these past 4 years after the initial problem, and so I hope my logic is correct here that the world's best seems to be the problem.

I would appreciate suggestions. I'm thinking to go back completely to Cat's Pride - not even sure I need to mix it since I have always been mixing the two but of late the percentage of World's Best has been increasing and Cat's Pride decreasing.

Sorry for the length of this but I thought you needed a complete history to arrive at a good idea of what might be going on. No other change in the house - same dog that was here when the cat arrived. My daughter came home from college but that was back in May already. This problem, we're thinking, is only in the past week or so. I think there are multiple places on the carpet the way it seems. I have removed the carpet and pad from the room and will clean the carpet (at least the affected part) tomorrow.

Thanks,
Keith

starbuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vets don't always know your pet better than you. Bring back the old litter, which I also use, and see how it goes. You will need an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the smell embedded in the carpet fibers. She'll go back there less too if you do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Starbuk. I am definitely switching back to the old litter.....tomorrow! I'm not even sure I'll mix the old and new, since the cat is already used to what I had been using. Hopefully it won't be a recurring problem. She had better not go back there AT ALL. Less is not enough. I'll do my best to get the carpet clean. I have pretty decent pet stain removal - worked before, hopefully will again. It's very frustrating and upsetting though. I think I'm getting too old for this sort of thing!