My 4 month old kitten is already 7 lbs!

pebblethebsh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a pure male british short hair and I know that they are rather large but is 7 lbs too heavy or is he just a large cat?
He eats a single 3 oz can of food per day and 1/2 cup of kibble that he munches out throughout the day.

I've attached some pictures as well :)

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think British Shorthairs tend to be on the heavy size or at least big boned. With any kitten in general, don't worry about weight gain. Kittens are rapidly growing eating machines. Every kitten grows and gains weight at their own pace. Offer as much food as the kitten will eat. I suggest increasing the amount of canned food you feed to your kitten. Canned food is way healthier for cats than dry. When your kitten is a year old you can switch completely to canned food (most ideal) or a mostly canned food diet with a small amount of dry.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote don’t worry about his weight until he is 2.5 years old & finishes growing. Keep giving him kitten food until then. With cats ignore the weight and focus on their body shape. I found an image of this t-shirt & it made me laugh (but also shows you how to visually check if your cat is fat.) There are lots of regular cat body mass charts online and your vet will tell you if your cat needs to loose weight and how much of their food to feed them.

Lastly this pictures shows the two brothers around 8 months old. Nick (black) is barel chested and just very muscular. Jackie is very long and petite framed. So your British short hair may just be stocky & or barrel chested (I’m not familiar with that breed.)

Attachments