My 4 month old kitten has a jelly belly!!!!!!

kat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am feeding exclusively raw, she was nursing up to 9 weeks when I went to pick her up.  I put her immediately on raw diet and she is thriving (obviously too much)  Our Vet said to cut back on her food but she is only 3lbs and I was under the understanding that kittens should be fed as much as they want until they are spayed or neutered because they are growing.  She eats more than our 20lb dog!  She was the runt of the litter and is a small breed so that is why she is 3lbs at 4 months. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreed - there is no need to cut back on the amount of food. Your kitten still needs to grow. What kind of raw are you feeding?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the issue that she's extremely short leg-to-leg for her weight? Is she a very cobby cat? I assume the vet had some reason to tell you to cut back, and we haven't seen her, though I also am usually under the impression that kittens should eat as much as they want. However, I do have a friend who had a young kitten have to have surgery due to eating literally her own body weight. Some kittens can in fact eat too much. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, she is a small kitten, a Minuet or Napoleon, Mother was a munchkin and dad a Himalayan and she is a non standard meaning long legged. I asked the Vet again how much she was because she feels heavier and she said 1.86 kg and that is a little over 4lbs, not 3lbs so she is spot on.  The Vet told me 3lbs.  She is a little piggy, I have her on Instinct raw medallions for cats/kittens and I sub in raw meat like pieces of angus beef or a little chicken when I have it and am cooking, she cries for a bit.  I feed her about 4-5 medallions a day and that's what my dog eats!  She has a cute little pudding under her belly, a fat pad.  I will keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't keep gaining too fast.  She is super active, always on the go follows me everywhere!  Sweetest little cat ever!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have her on Instinct raw medallions for cats/kittens and I sub in raw meat like pieces of angus beef or a little chicken when I have it and am cooking, she cries for a bit.  I feed her about 4-5 medallions a day and that's what my dog eats!
My Aby ate that many NV medallions when he was a kitten
Each approximately 1 oz medallion is about 49 calories. A growing kitten may need upwards of 300 calories daily. As long as your kitten is active and healthy I wouldn't worry too much about her big appetite.