My 4 month cat has a urinary obstruction... twice!

ilovemoose12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My best friend moose is a 4 month old Himalayan and he recently had to get emergency surgery Wednesday night for a urinary obstruction. They successfully unblocked it, but on Saturday when i was supposed to take him home he got re blocked and had to get a catheter put back in. Im so lost right now and I feel like I need answers! How could this happen to such a young boy?! And is this going to keep happening? Im a college student and I can't afford bills that are over 3,000 dollars. I just want my baby back home and not in pain anymore :( 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemoose12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone has any stories that are hopeful with urinary obstruction happy endings I would love to hear them! feeling pretty down right now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry no one has responded yet, AND that you are going thru this with such a young one
.  Did your Vet talk to you about what might be causing this at all and preventative measures.  FOOD plays a huge part in this, as does stress if you can believe it.  Your Vet will probably put him on a prescription food to prevent stones from building up, and then from there you will just have to see what happens in the future.   There are no guarantees that it won't happen again, but if it WAS stones, and you do feed him the prescription food, that should help immensely. 

I have never had a cat with urinary issues (other than actual kidney disease), but am hoping by responding and bumping up this thread that you will get more responses now.  

for your little guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemoose12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to bring him home on Tuesday and right as we got home he tried peeing in his litter box and he barely could! He was trying to pee everywhere but in his litter box and i kept having to pick him up and carry him to it. I called my vet and she told me to bring him to the vet again less than 12 hours from when i picked him up and he has been there since.. After two reblocks he is back there and I'm down $2,300. Feeling helpless! He turned 5 months yesterday

heatherdyonne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Hewbie had chronic UTI's and the last one he was completely blocked. When he was finally able to pee, it was all blood. He was just miserable. He was put on a prescription diet c/d (from science diet) and he hasn't had any issues since and it's been about 3 years that he's been on this new diet! It's spendy food, but it has completely changed his quality of life for the better!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy was on the Royal Canin SO urinary diet for a while. 

Is your cat eating dry or wet?  Wet food would be better because you can add some extra water to it.. the extra water does help..

Also, was your cat sent home with some pain meds? Like buphromorphine? (sorry spelling).. that is really the best one.. and I think prozasin (again spelling)--this keeps the bladder and urethra from spasms...Very important...

my guy had iFLUTD a couple of times.. no stones.. Also can you get some Feliway (plug-in, like Glade) or add some Rescue Remedy in order to cut down on his stress levels??  

sending you  
for things to work out..

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had urinary crystals. The first time he was around 10-11 months old. At that time he was still being fed kitten food. The vet said to stop feeding that because it had more minerals, which could cause the crystals. I started feeding him one of the urinary tract health foods that keep the urine in a certain ph range. From my understanding that prevents formation of stones. I had to experiment a bit to find one of the urinary foods he would actually eat. He's super picky. He's had a few flare ups over the last 8 years but nothing super serious. I second what Artiemom said above. Tons of water and wet food is key. When my cat had flare ups it always coincided with him getting less water from food. Sometimes I have to bribe him by sprinkling dry food on top of the special wet food.....which really isn't ideal...but  it's the only way I can get him to eat it. Basically if you can get your cat to eat just the prescription food that would be the best....

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2142&aid=2729

The site I posted above has some info about it....Explains things a bit clearer ... the different types of crystals etc.

The first time my cat had crystals the vet gave me something called cosequin to sprinkle on his food for a few weeks. The vet said it could help reduce inflammation in the bladder. So you might want to ask your vet if that could help. I can't recall if there was a ton of scientific evidence on the cosequin or if it was one of those.....well we think it should help.....and it won't hurt....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What's the status of this little guy at this point?  I'm guessing his name is Moose?