My 3 year old got blocked— tips?

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My three year old DSH male, Ramses, was trying to urinate for 30+ minutes in the litter box with no success on this Tuesday evening. Thankfully he chose when both my partner and I had just returned home, and did it right in front of us so we could see. I didn’t know anything about urinary blockages, but my instinct told me not to wait. I called an emergency vet clinic and asked if I should take him in, to which they advised I do as it was a medical emergency if he could not urinate.

So we packed him up in his carrier and drove him to a 24hr emergency clinic, where the vet confirmed that he did indeed have a blockage. She gave him an IV, sedated him, and did the unblock + catheter insertion at around 1am. We ended up staying until he was set up in his cage, still asleep from sedation, but stable.

He stayed in the hospital through Wednesday so he could catch up on fluids, and so his output equaled his input, as he had apparently been behind on fluids when we brought him in. We do feed almost exclusively wet food (Tiki Cat wet twice a day, followed by a small amount of dry at bedtime). Follow this, though, I think we will likely cut out dry. On Thursday his catheter was removed, and we were cleared to discharge him as he had urinated on his own. He also really likes the prescription food, which is pretty convenient! He does eat it without complaint.

He was sent home on gabapentin and proazin. He seems to be urinating fine on his own, although he did pee on himself in the carrier ride home. I’m not sure if that was due to stress, lots of IV fluids, trauma from the catheter or all of the above. We had to give him a bath which he unfortunately hated, but he ate that night and we were able to give him his medicine. The gabapentin is pretty sedative and he does seem to relax a ton on it, but he also doesn’t seem to be in any pain that I can see even after more than 8 hrs between doses.

Does anyone have experience with this? How long should I keep giving the gabapentin? I don’t want to give him too much if he’s not in pain, but I also don’t want him to suffer.

Also, if anyone has any tips for the recovery period, or things they have noticed from their own experience, that would be awesome. I’m continuing to give him the prescription food for now, and we bought a cat fountain to see if he will drink more (he normally never does).

So far things seem good and I have seen him use the litter box on his own and actually pee.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My three year old DSH male, Ramses, was trying to urinate for 30+ minutes in the litter box with no success on this Tuesday evening. Thankfully he chose when both my partner and I had just returned home, and did it right in front of us so we could see. I didn’t know anything about urinary blockages, but my instinct told me not to wait. I called an emergency vet clinic and asked if I should take him in, to which they advised I do as it was a medical emergency if he could not urinate.

So we packed him up in his carrier and drove him to a 24hr emergency clinic, where the vet confirmed that he did indeed have a blockage. She gave him an IV, sedated him, and did the unblock + catheter insertion at around 1am. We ended up staying until he was set up in his cage, still asleep from sedation, but stable.

He stayed in the hospital through Wednesday so he could catch up on fluids, and so his output equaled his input, as he had apparently been behind on fluids when we brought him in. We do feed almost exclusively wet food (Tiki Cat wet twice a day, followed by a small amount of dry at bedtime). Follow this, though, I think we will likely cut out dry. On Thursday his catheter was removed, and we were cleared to discharge him as he had urinated on his own. He also really likes the prescription food, which is pretty convenient! He does eat it without complaint.

He was sent home on gabapentin and proazin. He seems to be urinating fine on his own, although he did pee on himself in the carrier ride home. I’m not sure if that was due to stress, lots of IV fluids, trauma from the catheter or all of the above. We had to give him a bath which he unfortunately hated, but he ate that night and we were able to give him his medicine. The gabapentin is pretty sedative and he does seem to relax a ton on it, but he also doesn’t seem to be in any pain that I can see even after more than 8 hrs between doses.

Does anyone have experience with this? How long should I keep giving the gabapentin? I don’t want to give him too much if he’s not in pain, but I also don’t want him to suffer.

Also, if anyone has any tips for the recovery period, or things they have noticed from their own experience, that would be awesome. I’m continuing to give him the prescription food for now, and we bought a cat fountain to see if he will drink more (he normally never does).

So far things seem good and I have seen him use the litter box on his own and actually pee.
poor baby! i would suggest not stressing him out with any bath. cats are very good at self grooming. if u r concerned about the gabapentin(u did not give dosage amt) u can do ev 12 hrs. and wean him off. has his reg vet seen him for a follow up? i have raised cats on just kibble for MANY years with no kidney issues. if this is an indoor cat only, and he has access to fresh water all the time, it prob is not the problem. but FRESH is the key. change the bowl and the water daily! my 18 yo drinks spring water. i have bowls in 3 locations to make it easier for her. i urge caution with a fountain. they MUST be cleaned and sanitized daily to avoid a bacteria issue. it is easier for u just to have dishwasher safe bowls and change daily. did the hosp make any rec for follow up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
poor baby! i would suggest not stressing him out with any bath. cats are very good at self grooming.
Normally I would agree with this sentiment; I never bathe my cats, but he had urinated all over himself and was getting it all over the apartment, too, and trying to lick himself clean, so we only bathed him to clean off the urine.

if u r concerned about the gabapentin(u did not give dosage amt) u can do ev 12 hrs. and wean him off. has his reg vet seen him for a follow up?
1.2 mL every 8-12 hours. He's getting a bit less than that because he's mostly spitting it out, but good tip on the weaning. He has an appointment with his regular vet on July 1st. The vet tech did not specify if we should start weaning, or how long he should get the gabapentin, so I'm not sure what to do around it and in the chaos of taking him home I forgot to ask. I'll call them today after work and see if I can get guidance around it.

they MUST be cleaned and sanitized daily to avoid a bacteria issue.
Interesting, I will read up on this. I did get a stainless steel one with a filter.

i have raised cats on just kibble for MANY years with no kidney issues. if this is an indoor cat only, and he has access to fresh water all the time, it prob is not the problem. but FRESH is the key.
Thank you. It's not so much that I think dry food is the problem in that I think him never drinking any water + being further dehydrated by the dry food is. Cutting it out completely might make a difference for him because he was so behind on fluids. I've seen others say they mix water into their food, too, so maybe that could work. Have you ever done this?

Thank you for your tips!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I would agree with this sentiment; I never bathe my cats, but he had urinated all over himself and was getting it all over the apartment, too, and trying to lick himself clean, so we only bathed him to clean off the urine.

1.2 mL every 8-12 hours. He's getting a bit less than that because he's mostly spitting it out, but good tip on the weaning. He has an appointment with his regular vet on July 1st. The vet tech did not specify if we should start weaning, or how long he should get the gabapentin, so I'm not sure what to do around it and in the chaos of taking him home I forgot to ask. I'll call them today after work and see if I can get guidance around it.

Interesting, I will read up on this. I did get a stainless steel one with a filter.

Thank you. It's not so much that I think dry food is the problem in that I think him never drinking any water + being further dehydrated by the dry food is. Cutting it out completely might make a difference for him because he was so behind on fluids. I've seen others say they mix water into their food, too, so maybe that could work. Have you ever done this?

Not all cats like their food water down but you can try it. Be sure to have numerous water bowls scattered around not by the food or litter box. Canned food has the water a cat needs but he will need more. A fountain might help. I assume he had lower urinary tract disease(Lutd) which is not the same as kidney.Stress can be factor too so try to spend lots of time with him.. Any question about medacine also ask your doctor

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

i have never had to put water in. i tried years ago when i was trying to get her to eat wet food. but she just refused it. but my cat is not food motivated. abt a yr ago it seemed she was not drinking much. i though maybe it is the bottled water. so i went to whole foods and got one of ev non alkaline i saw . i put some in ea of her 3 bowls w/the bottle in the room to c which one she liked. it was Figi! so we did that for months. when i really looked at the label i was concerned abt the levels of electrolytes. so i went half and half and then back to the geyser spring water. i already knew she could smell something in artesian bottled water. so those brands were out. i can tell u that tap water was not a problem til we had katrina. she would barely drink any water. on the news i heard them say they had upped the chlorine in the water system due to katrina issues. she was refusing the water cause she could smell that! so sometimes it is trial and error. i will tell u also that i would empty her bowl fr my bedroom in my bathroom sink so i wouldnt spill it on the way to the kitchen, i have a strainer in there(contact lens!)i started noticing that it would clog up. i used a qtip to clean the little strainer and was SHOCKED to c it was white cat hair! from her small water bowl! now i change the bowl daily. all sorts of things that can discourage them. pls call the ER they want to help and will give u knowledgeable good luck. gabapentin is a neurological drug. i was giving it to my girl for arthritis pain. she weaned herself off of it! and now i realize it didnt really help her pain, made her wobbly but it DID make her more loving! it would be easier if they spoke english! GOOD LUCK

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Make sure the prescription food is canned and make sure he eats only that. No treats. If he doesn’t eat, call your vet.
The problem with dry food is the carbohydrates. So you can add water but it is still carbohydrates.
Cats are strict carnivores. They cannot process carbohydrates and that in turn causes obesity, urinary blockages, diabetes, to name a few. some cats may seem to not be afflicted with these problems after eating dry, but who knows why. Or maybe they would have been much healthier had they had canned.
The classic blocked cat I have seen ( personal experience over 30 years in Vet Hosp.) is 3 to 8 yrs old, obese, dry food eating cat.
It is easy to cut out all the dry food if he is already eating canned. Just feed the prescribed food in canned variety and have his Urine rechecked when your supposed to and when he is cleared by the vet to go back on regular food, get him a quality canned food and don’t over feed.
I would continue to use all the medications as prescribed by your vet. Gabapentin usually makes cats happy. The pain control is minimal, but you do need to keep him happy as stress is a contributing factor to this problem.
Good luck!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet scan him or do a urine analysis? Does he have stones? I have a cat with stress related uti's, I feed wet only and add a little water to his food each meal and mix it in well. Have a look at Cornsilk and D-Mannose, they are both natural products. I use them when my cat has a flare up and they work well for him. Cornsilk is a mild pain relief and anti inflammatory and D-Mannose is a diuretic.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your invaluable advice. Ramses had a urinalysis and they found crystals in his urine, which the vet says is actually the good news because we can control that with diet. I’ve been feeding him the Hills c/d urinary prescription wet since he’s been home, and wondering if switching to raw feeding will be an option since that’s what I’ve been considering anyway.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water water water is the best advice I have. I had a blocked cat who would not eat any of the special diet. I put out more water bowls and that encouraged him to drink more. It helped a lot. You will spend the next 2 weeks following him to the litterbox which is normal. As long as he is peeing he is good!

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your invaluable advice. Ramses had a urinalysis and they found crystals in his urine, which the vet says is actually the good news because we can control that with diet. I’ve been feeding him the Hills c/d urinary prescription wet since he’s been home, and wondering if switching to raw feeding will be an option since that’s what I’ve been considering anyway.
stick with what the vet says. rx cat food. i think they also have it in kibble form and maybe some rx treats? just a variation. but rx only. u need to find out how long he has to stay on that diet. u want to avoid having to givee him iv if u can help it. hopefully it wont get to that

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Stick with the Rx diet for now because it will acidifying his urine so new crystal can’t form and current crystals break down. That is why it is imperative that you feed the prescription diet, like you are, canned. If the urine pH becomes to acidic then different crystals can form. Another reason to feed the Rx diet since it will keep the urine pH correct. So, for now forego supplements and anything else. Once he has a clean urinalysis you can start to explore other options like raw etc.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat no longer has struitive crystals after being on Hill's cd and royal canin so. Her last appt he said her crystals are gone and eat the food she likes. I had to keep adding freeze dried chicken since she didn't like it. Crystals can come back so keep her on the food and have a urinalysis done 2-3 months later to make sure the food is helping. My litter boxes are not covered so I can watch!

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. That makes sense re: the rx food to dissolve the existing struitive crystals and prevent any new ones from forming. Our emergency vet was not clear at all about this and why, but you all make way more sense than they did.

They also did not send us home with any rx prescription, so I asked to take a couple of cans. They gave me two of the hills c/d which Ramses has been eating but I think he’s not really crazy about it because he never finishes, and that’s unusual for him. I am out so I had to give him some of the regular food but I ordered some more Royal Canin urinary from chewy. Hopefully they get to me fast.

He has a follow up on July 1st with his regular vet. I will of course mention all of this, ask about next steps, and perhaps another urinalysis.

I have been keeping a close eye on him peeing. He is still peeing, but he seems to only be peeing a little bit at a time. Is this normal? He also still hasn’t been drinking :( so that could be why too. He is licking at the area after using the box as well, but he is peeing.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Another prescription food is Purina UR. Never tried that one but if this new vet wants to continue with prescription food I will try that. I even bought a pet monitor! Also small amounts but she is peeing.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks maggie101 maggie101 your support / feedback has been so helpful. Very glad to hear your girl is peeing. Was she also blocked? I hear it’s unusual for a female cat to have that problem because of the structure of their urethra.

I also uncovered the litter boxes in my home too so I could watch. He sits in the box for maybe 1-2 mins and pees but it’s pretty small. Afterwards he does lick a bit down there. He’s actually been licking before he got completely blocked so it’s possible he was already forming a blockage and I hadn’t even known. Or maybe he’s just irritated from the trauma of the procedure and having a catheter in. Either way he’s not crying or anything, and doesn’t seem to be in pain. He’s still purring and acting normal if not a little lethargic. But I would be too after the vet stay he had!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She was not blocked It is unusual but she was very stressed. Probably what caused UTI then crystals. She no longer over grooms herself. Maggie never had an ultrasound but she seems OK. Not hiding or crying for attention

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Ramses is still peeing today, but the amount seems to be pretty small. It’s more than just a few drops, but the clumps in the litter box are definitely smaller than usual. He’s also licking a lot at the site every time he gets out of the litter box and his penis does come out. I called his emergency vet to ask and she mentioned that while it’s not normal it could be irritation or even a UTI from the catheter, as that tends to happen too. We will be stopping by later to pick up some antibiotics and give those to him as well to get ahead of that if that’s the case. The good news is that he is still peeing and he’s eating too, as well as purring and kneading when I pet him. He’s somewhat active as well but a little more lethargic than normal. He’s not hiding though, or crying in pain, etc.

Fingers crossed everything stays fine!